Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fortunate enough to have someone kindly build me dual 18inch sealed subs to replace my PB13U.

I have a lot of work to do with the response as it is all over the place and I have no room for movement with the location of these subs due to their size. So an eq device is the only way to sort it out.

I have the BFD FBQ2496 but I am just learning how to use it. I know how to use REW to measure the response and I think I understand how to use the BFD PEQ but I have been advised that I should be able to plug it into my laptop and REW will automatically do the eq'ing to get a flat response.

I have had a quick look but I can't find any advice on how to do this. I am guessing the lead I would need would be a midi-usb connection right?

Then how do I use REW to do auto eq?

One big aim is to raise the lower end response to match or better the PB13U, maybe getting it flat down to 10hz but at the very least 15hz.

I am sorry if I have missed a sticky thread with the info I need but I could really use a dummies guide on this.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Here are my current measurements without any eq, each sub measured individually and then together.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John :T

So it's the eq window I needed, I've had a play about with it using the responses I have here, it seems quite straight forward. Does it send these adjustments to the bfd and then the bfd automatically saves the adjustments, even if the bfd is turned off?

I noticed that the lowest frequency it is attending to is at 29hz and lowers the level. I can see it's ironing out that big peak but why is it not boosting frequencies at the lower end, shouldn't it be doing this to bring the lower end up to the target 75db response?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Yes, the FBQ will remember the settings.

REW will not apply any filters below the lowest freq at which the response dips below the target - that is to avoid boosting drivers below their natural roll-off, if you wish to do that simply apply a filter manually.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to set some of the filters myself as you suggested but someone has warned me about making sure I do not overlap the filters, is there a way of avoiding this?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Basically, yes. All filters will overlap at some point, but REW shows you the combined effect of all the filters that have been applied. You can also tick a box in the settings for the Filter Adjust graph to show the individual filter responses as well as the overall response to see each individual filter's contribution.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am trying to get the my bfd setup but im getting no signal through the subs.

I've tried connecting the ep4000 direct to my receiver and the subs work fine so it's the bfd that's cutting the sound.

I connected the red phono jack-stereo jack lead from my receiver to left input on bfd and the grey phono-stereo jack from left output to my ep4000. Is this correct?

It's more than likely a button I haven't pressed on it but I'm not sure which, all I need to use is the peq to tune my subs.

Any ideas? :dontknow:

Martin

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah that's right but the only difference is ive got the receiver connected to the bfd using the first type of lead in your pics, then the same lead again to connect to an antimode (antimode is in bypass mode as I intend to use this after the bfd peq to smooth the final response out) then a normal subwoofer cable (phono rca cable) from the antimode to the EP4000, at the EP4000 end of the cable I have an mono adaptor in order to plug it into the amp.

Before anyone says it the antimode is working fine so it's not that.

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts

Okay. Are you getting a reading on the BFD’s input meters? Also, make sure all filtering in the BFD is bypassed (set for 0 gain). And verify that all your cables are good. Take the Antimode out of the signal chain to see if that changes anything. Basically, go through the process of elimination for each piece in the signal chain, both hardware and cabling.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No there is no signs on the bfd that any signal is going to it, ive pressed and held the bypass button, then tried pressing peq, gain, frequency, bandwidth but no signs of anything happening, I tried both cables in right and left inputs, nothing.

The only light are the 2 factory setting adjustment positions, when I turn the dial the lights across the numbers appear for different adjustments numbers?

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts

Turn your receiver’s sub output all the way up, and turn the receiver’s main volume to a really high setting. Then play something with a strong bass signal through the system (might want to disconnect all your speakers). Assuming the connection cables are good, if you do this and don’t get a signal on the BFD’s input meters, then I’d suspect it’s defective. Might want to check the manual for some setting or something you might have over looked before you pronounce it “dead.”

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay im getting a reading on the bfd, I rechecked the setup guide on the shack and I forgot to press the 10db button in on the back of the unit and I have turned the subs volume right up high, +5db on the reciever and master volume at -5db.

The only problem is that the reading on the led lights on the left hand side of the unit disappear when I press and hold the bypass button (bypass button is lit)?

Just to test it I only have the lead going from my pre out sub port on my receiver, to the left input port on the back of the bfd.

I'm confused, shouldn't I only be a ble to see the input volume with bypass light on?

Marty

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts

Hey Marty,

I’ve never had one of these so I don’t know how it operates. But it shouldn’t be this difficult. I’d say connect it up to your system the way you would normally, then unplug your BFD cables and connect them to a 1/4"-to-1/4” female coupler, like this. If that gets a signal to your subs, then I’d say the BFD is defective.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hey Marty,

I’ve never had one of these so I don’t know how it operates. But it shouldn’t be this difficult. I’d say connect it up to your system the way you would normally, then unplug your BFD cables and connect them to a 1/4"-to-1/4” female coupler, like this. If that gets a signal to your subs, then I’d say the BFD is defective.

Regards,
Wayne
Im sorry for being dumb here Wayne but do you mean connect the receiver direct to the EP4000 (not connecting to bfd) using the 2 cables that im using with bfd? In other words just checking that the cables are working?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts