Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a closet which I presently use my IB in ....This closet is build with 2x3 lumber spaced every 12 inches and stuffed with fiberglass,it is covered with 1/2 gyprock,plastered and painted. I want to use the whole space as much as possible to get my 40 cubic feet that I need... Should I just make a front, back and top for it and don't install any mdf on it's sides?Will that suffice? One side is the foundation wall...

Oh one more question... Can I install the ports on the front of the sub instead of the back...?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Front of the sub would be fine, but doesn't matter as long as they fire into the listening space. Can you post a diagram of the area, or pics so we can get a better idea of what is going on? Are you using the drivers and amp from the IB?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the back of the closet...

The front...

It will continue looking in front like that but the back I want to seal up to a 40 cube ported box.

The drivers are 15 inch Adire tempests..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... leave all in place and port the baffle... ? I would seal up the closet entry.. ..You think the walls are okay like that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
If your worried, throw some 3/4" plywood over the sheetrock. Use long screws so you hit the studs. You can try without first, as long as you have access back in there if you need to beef it up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The baffle is double thick... the problem is, it is attached to the 2x6's of the wall face... I would like to sort of isolate it so it won't cause too much vibrations... right now...the vibrations can be heard across the street....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well more work would be involved but you could change it from baffle mounted to a manifold design, 2 on each side facing towards eachother so they cancel out their mechanical vibration and little no no vibration is transmitted into the structure. Otherwise I guess it just becomes a matter of bracing, try running 2x4 at a 45 degree angle to the floor and cieling from the baffle maybe?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Is there any reason you couldn't use the manifold and still make the closet into a big ported box? Does it take up too much displacement or what. I'm afraid I don't follow.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am thinking the manifold will take too much space .... something like nearly 5 cubic feet...

As it is I am just ..just at 40 cubic feet... and thats what needed... besides I will be loosing a bit with the 4 drivers and the 2 x 8 inch ports.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You could build the manifold outside of the closet so, instead of going inside of the space it would come out of the front and actually add to the space. Of course this takes up space inside your room and would probably have a very low WAF, but that is one posability that actully increases the amount of space you have to work with and gets rid of your vibrations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts