Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in charge of all the EQ at a Subwoofer GTG on October 22. We will have 13 different subwoofer setups for the day. All the subwoofers will be in a garage and moved down to the basement theater room for their individual EQ, measurements, and listening. With this many subwoofer groups I need to perform EQ as efficiently as possible so we can spend more time listening.

I am using an HTPC connected to a Steinberg MR816x which has 8 analog ouputs (1/4" TRS). The software for playback will be JRiver Media Center. JRiver can provide all the EQ, distance settings, gain settings, and mapping of the subwoofer channel to multiple outputs. This will allow me to use multiple outputs for subwoofers setups that use mulitple subwoofers. I can then use a different distance setting for each subwoofer. I can also use a sub/mid-bass combo and apply high/low pass filters on each output.

DozerMayne's method of using the RTA to evaluate filters used in a plugin works great for the simpler setups. I just measure the sub, have REW generate filters, enter the filters in JRiver, playback Pink PN noise in JRiver while watching REW's RTA. The RTA matches both the original and the predicted measurement extremely close.

The problem with more complex setups is that I need delay and mulitple outputs. I can playback the Pink PN noise in JRiver and make changes while watching the RTA, but this is very tedious. Is there a way I can convert the RTA reading into an EQable graph?

I thought about measuring each output separately and then using the Trace Arithmatic to combine them, but this still doesn't route the output through JRiver and allow for crossover slopes and distance settings. I could run everything through a DCX2496 and then tranfer the settings to JRiver and confirm with the RTA, but this is too much cable switching and measuring for the time I have available. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
If you click the Save button at the top of the RTA window the current RTA trace is saved as a measurement which you can handle in the EQ window like any other measurement.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John. "Save" was grayed out because I was looking at the screen without the RTA actually on so I overlooked it.

I really like the RTA for measuring. It is much quicker than taking multiple sweeps and is just as accurate from the testing I've done so far.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The RTA will give good results if you use Pink PN as the source (rectangular window). If using conventional pink noise a lot of averaging is needed, but you can use Pink PN without averaging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts