Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here any experience with using maple isolation blocks and are familiar with Mapleshades. I know they use an air dried maple while a butcher block is kiln dry. Just seeing if anyone has heard the difference between the two.

I can pick up enough 2 1/4" thick maple butcher block to build a 4 rack shelf 36" long for less than $350.

The mapleshades site: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/departments.asp?dept=46

I'm looking to building my rack this weekend and looking at my options of doing it with maple vs. 1 1/2" MDF.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Good plan, BMXer241. I think you'll readily find a distinction in the upper registers of black vs white pianos. Moreover, you'll likely be able to differentiate between a hand-varnished laquer and an airbrushed one.

JUST KIDDING!

I can't speak from experience about butcher block finishes, or even composition; but I do know that isolation systems make a difference. I use Bright Star Audio products to keep airborne and floorborne vibration away from sensitive CD/LP transports. Their Littlerock/Bigrock products also make noticeable improvements by blocking RF/EMI.

These are not night & day differences, and are noticed much easier after removing them from, rather than adding them to an existing system (all else being equal).

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? Isolation, damping, or coupling?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts