Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I posted here. The wife killed my Mac with a glass of water so I had to get another. That meant downloading REW again, which I haven't used in a while. Couldn't remember my password, didn't write it down in my book. Anyway, I got a small sub for my P/U for my birthday, a dual voice coil 10 nothing fancy, but something to reach down lower. The Kenwood deck has a 13 band EQ in it, and lots of other adjustments which I have been working with. It started out sounding like a lot of kick base at first, but by working with the cross over points, and reducing the overlap between the sub and the main speakers, it is sounding lots better. Some of the highs sound off, but not consistently on all tracks, I play High def Flac files from a thumb drive, so they are high quality music files. Anyway, I thought I would hook up my laptop and try running REW in my P/U to visually see what I was hearing. I can tell the sub does not go all that low, especially since I am used to my SVS in the house. But, the truck sounds much better on those long trips to the lake doing service calls. Thats the important part.

Anyone try doing this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, sorry about my grammar. As the title says, using REW to tune the system in my P/U.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts
Wow, sorry about my grammar. As the title says, using REW to tune the system in my P/U.
Rats, that “service calls to the lake” thing really piqued my interest. :)

BTW, another little grammar tip: The title of the book (or chapter) is just that, and not part of the story. :)

Addressing the system tuning with REW, you can probably find examples in the Mobile Audio section. I know Sonnie did it for some of his systems.

https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/mobile-audio/

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a boat shop, so I sometimes travel 45 miles round-trip to Trinity Lake to fix Houseboats.

On a side note, I am finally getting my 70 Ranchero GT running, twin turbo 351C. I have to fabricate everything from scratch. It has lots of suspension mods and a competition stereo system which took a stereo shop a full year to build. Got kinda heavy so I needed some more horespower. The stereo shop asked me back then, who I wanted to impress with this system, I said me! It's a sound quality set up, lots of sound deadener, no rattles.

It's going to make those trips to the lake way more enjoyable. Haven't driven it in 20 years. Raising a family got the priority. Now it's my turn to get my toy running again.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If your serious about using REW , then its time to add a great piece of equipment that is a perfect match for REW and lets you easily upload the corrective measurements files made by REW ....or you can easily make your own PEQ adjustments on the fly with a laptop .....it WILL take your system to the next level !

In my F150 its a whole new ballgame with this DSP

https://www.minidsp.com/products/car-audio-dsp/c-dsp-6x8

·
Registered
9 Posts
No disrespect my friend, but a truck is not a room. It's room eq wizard not truck, car, van or suv wizard. I don't know of any rooms that r 4 feet x 3 feet. If u want more low end need to look at ur car amp to c if it has a low pass filter adjustment (which these days most do) or go online and look for a small electronic low pass filter x over. Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember looking at some of their products for my home theater stuff. I think that would go well in the Ranchero. It currently has an eq with a range expander which is supposed to fill the gaps between the tones offered by digital inputs. But it's all 20 year technology at this point. Though top of the line when new. It sounded great 20 years ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No disrespect my friend, but a truck is not a room. It's room eq wizard not truck, car, van or suv wizard. I don't know of any rooms that r 4 feet x 3 feet. If u want more low end need to look at ur car amp to c if it has a low pass filter adjustment (which these days most do) or go online and look for a small electronic low pass filter x over. Hope this helps!!!
I mainly want to use REW to see where I need to make adjustments to my system. Yes, the subs amp has a built-in low pass filter and bass boost
But so does my deck which is easier to get to. It also has adjustable high pass filters, so to try to get rid of some of the kick bass, I have played with both settings to limit what sounds to me like an overlapping spike around 120 hz. I will confirm that with REW and make adjustments.

Thanks everyone for your comments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why would u need to set ur x over for ur subs soo high. Unlike movies music is a different format and the sub frequencies don't generally need to b set as high. For movies most action (impact) happens around about 60 hz. For music it's about 10-15 hz less (45-50hz). Not sure what type of subs or enclosure u run but I wish the best. At times a good ear is useful n a vehicle although it can b a little tough to determine what the producer intended u to hear! Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Currently, the front door speakers are in the stock location and are only 4 or 5". So they don't play very low. When I had the crossover points set lower, it seemed like a bass guitar playing up the scale seemed to fade out as it went up. Raising the crossover points seemed to help that a lot, but created other anomalies. Hopefully later this week, I can download the correction file for my umik-1 into my latest laptop and run some sweeps to see where things are at.

The Ranchero has 1" soft domes, 4", and 6.5" in the doors with a pair of 10's in bandpass boxes behind the seats where the spare tire belongs. All with passive, and active crossovers, so the frequency response is much more evenly distributed. My pickup is pretty basic, but the tweaker in me wants it to sound it's best. And since I tune engines for a living, I am always listening to sounds.

My wife complains about all of my speakers. When my giant Harden Karden AVR 8000 amp died, I told her I could upgrade to 3 dimensional sound, all I have to do is install more speakers! But Honey, they will be in the ceiling so they won't get in the way of your decorating. She still wasn't impressed, so for now, I bought a used Onkyo TX-NR818 with XT-32. It works OK, but doesn't drive my Paradigm studio 80's as well. I could use the AVR 8000's amp to drive the front stage as it was the signal processor which failed.

There's not enough hours in the day for all of these projects. Now that boating season is slowing down, I want to finish building the twin turbo set up in the Ranchero, so I can start driving it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts