Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just discovered the REW and have downloaded the software to my windows XP computer. I have an internal SB Audigy 4 sound card. I have a line in jack separate from the microphone in so I will be using that but there are 3 line out jacks. Does it matter which one I use? Also do I need to hook up the optional soundcard calibration loopback? Also it mentions you can use a microphone but it appears the software is set up for the radio shack SPL meters. I would like to use the most accurate way. I do have the RS 33-2055 digital model and also two microphones one came with my Velodyne SMS-1 which seem pretty substantial and another that came with my Marantz av8003 ssp. This is so exciting! I love the SMS-1 software and didn't know there was something similar for the full audio range. I want to run my Audyssey and see if it actually can achieve a flat response. If not I should be able to manually adjust the EQ with the REW no? I'm already anticipating limitations due to my SSP's limited Equalizing points. However shouldn't I be able to use REW to apply acoustic treatments and speaker placement adjustments?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You should first read and become familiar with REW Cabling Basics and the REW HELP files.

Also do I need to hook up the optional soundcard calibration loopback?
You do need to run a one time soundcard calibration routine that creates a file that you store in REW that renders your soundcard flat. You simply connect a cable on the right channel from line-out to line-in and run the routine and save the file. Then remove that loopback cable and use the right channel for measuring.

I would like to use the most accurate way. I do have the RS 33-2055 digital model and also two microphones one came with my Velodyne SMS-1 which seem pretty substantial and another that came with my Marantz av8003 ssp.
After you read the help files, you'll see that you require a calibration file for any microphone you use. We have files for all the Radio Shack meters and the Galaxy CM-130 and the much used Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic.

If not I should be able to manually adjust the EQ with the REW no?.
Yes..

However shouldn't I be able to use REW to apply acoustic treatments and speaker placement adjustments?
Yes.

brucek

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brucek,

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading the stickies here but it's a lot to absorb. It looks like I should use the mini output that's for front left and right speakers and not the coax digital out right?
Is it right that the Radio Shack digital meter should only be used for low frequency adjustments not full range? If so what is appropriate for full range adjustment?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
It looks like I should use the mini output that's for front left and right speakers and not the coax digital out right?
Correct. REW is meant to be used with analog input and output.

Is it right that the Radio Shack digital meter should only be used for low frequency adjustments not full range?
Correct, limit to about 3KHz with the RS meters.

If so what is appropriate for full range adjustment?
The ECM8000 and its preamp mentioned in the Cabling basics url I posted above.

brucek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts