Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a spare dell d600 with 2 gig of ram and a 100 gig hard drive. Is it possible to hook this PC up to my receiver/home theater system some how so I can stream video/audio to my system and enjoy it on the big screen? What would I need to buy to make this happen? I assume I will need some kind of audio/video usb card to make sure I get the quality right.

Any suggestion....

Receiver is a Pioneeer Elite VSX84-TSXI

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
All you need is an inexpensive sound card with digital out (co-ax or toslink). You can also use aalog 1/8" to RCA jack (monoprice.com), but digital will sound better.

On the video side, do you have AGP or PCI-X16? DVI to HDMI cables will work, though you'll want a card with good support for non-PC resolutions (16:9 vs 16:10). Many PCIX cards come in HDMI flavors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if there is a single device I can connect which will handle both audio and video which can then run digitial and component to the receiver?

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Some video card have HDMI outs and digital audio ins, then mix the audio with the HDMI out. By most accounts, this is still a shaky proposition, and everyone is waiting for a video card with onboard audio to do DTHD and DD+.

I think I've seen some USB port replicators that have dig audio and VGA video, but the vid quality is going to be pretty horrible.

I'd still with the multi cable, separate vid/sound solution.

What output do you currently have in your system for video and audio? What free slots do you have?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for not being more specific in my description. The computer in question is a D600 laptop. So I am going to be limited to what I can plug in externally. Thoughts?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
If you bigscreen has VGA in, use that for video. If not, hopefully you have an S-video output on your laptop. If not, you're into a VGA to component converter, bout $150.

Any old USB soundcard will sound great via digital. The sondigo Callisto is inexpensive and works well, but can be a pain to set up. Creative Labs are probably the most mainstream solution.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how is the picture quality? My goal is to be able to stream video or content from the web to my home theater system. For example, when the DVR craps out, I can use the net to catch up on a show.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know if there is a way to get the picture to be better? Wouldn't S Video be a little better than VGA?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Mitsubishi Diamond rear projection. Now I know I need to get a new flat panel but until recently we never used it and it is basically brand new. Supports 480/720/1080

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the native resolution is 720. Anyway, I got the soundblaster external USB, have a VGA cable, digital optical out to receiver, and then the 3.5 from my computer to the soundblaster. Is that really all there is to it?

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
So the native resolution is 720. Anyway, I got the soundblaster external USB, have a VGA cable, digital optical out to receiver, and then the 3.5 from my computer to the soundblaster. Is that really all there is to it?

Yes that is all you need !

Enjoy !

JP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the audio sounds pretty good but for some reason I can't get the image out to my big screen. I have an SVGA cable hooked from my laptop to my big screen but no go. Any ideas? I have pressed Function and F7 and tried all combinations.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On a side note the TV is actually native 480p, not 720 as I thought before. It goes up to 1080i but that is not its native resolution.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
1080i support but the native resolution is 480p? Please post the make and model # of your TV.

Try right clicking on your desktop, and going into advanced display options. You'll find the settings you need in there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.