Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I gave this a go, and when I got to channel 4 (The subwoofer) the output was incredibly low. As in, even with the sub turned the whole way up, the mic could hardly pick it up. And it's not like it's a small sub either (REL R528)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I just used the umik mic and hdmi output for the first time, had a bit of trouble getting multi channel audio enabled on the hdmi output for my Toshiba Qosmio laptop.

It ended up being caused by HDMI-CEC in the bios- this needs to be disabled for multichannel.
Vedddy Vedddy inttterrrressstink! I will be sure to check this tonight! A sincere thanks for sharing :)

It's fairly rare ( though more common on older PCs ), but not every HDMI equipped PC is able to output multi-channel sound through the HDMI connector .

One quick way to determine if the card ( graphics card actually ) will output more than 2 channels is to hover the mouse pointer over the appropriate output description ( as found within the ASIO4ALL control panel ) .

Invaluable, my new best friend! :T I was only looking at "STATUS" and didn't notice this first time 'round. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Invaluable, my new best friend! :T I was only looking at "STATUS" and didn't notice this first time 'round. Thank you!
invaluable
[ inˈvalyo͞oəbəl ]
ADJECTIVE
extremely useful; indispensable:
"an invaluable source of information"
synonyms: indispensable · crucial · critical · key · vital · necessary · More
Powered by OxfordDictionaries · © Oxford University Press

Sorry for any confusion or false impression I may have caused. I IMMENSELY APPRECIATE EARLK's INPUT :D

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
AudiocRaver... It's all good (at least that's what the paranoid voices in my head tell me)! Thanks for your kind words. I'll stop spamming this thread now.
You should feel honored the voices speak to you. That makes you special.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have done the test suggested by Lumen with ASIO to check the channels of the HDMI out of the ASUS laptop K550C (win 8.1) It showes 2x.
So I when to the bios has GCG suggested ( go ther to know how
) HD audio was unlock.
I can not use rew and asio4all with my hometheater. And , for the moment nothing works with JAVA.
I made my first measurement of my stereo system upstairs in my home. Surprisingly with succes...I think. That looks promising.
It is my first time with REW, I would have loved to do the same with my HT. I am a little disappointed for that. It is maybe beyong my computor skills

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi:

1. I have the UMIK-1 USB mic, and d/l'd the calibration files and in REW - pointed to them (the non 90 degree)
  2. Next step inm the OPs directions was to set drivers to ASIO and sample rate to 48 Hz - which I did
  3. I changed the ASIO Device to ASIO4All v2 and then clicked the "ASIO Control Panel" button - and entered advanced (wrench) mode. However next to my HDMI out it has an X stating that it's in use
    Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Hi:

1. I have the UMIK-1 USB mic, and d/l'd the calibration files and in REW - pointed to them (the non 90 degree)
  2. Next step inm the OPs directions was to set drivers to ASIO and sample rate to 48 Hz - which I did
  3. I changed the ASIO Device to ASIO4All v2 and then clicked the "ASIO Control Panel" button - and entered advanced (wrench) mode. However next to my HDMI out it has an X stating that it's in use
    Any ideas?
  1. Have you recently run the AMD Catalyst update? Take a look at this thread.
  2. Make sure there is no other program that might be tying up that output somehow. Reboot and check again before running any other programs that could possibly access the HDMI audio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
  1. Have you recently run the AMD Catalyst update? Take a look at this thread.
  2. Make sure there is no other program that might be tying up that output somehow. Reboot and check again before running any other programs that could possibly access the HDMI audio.
Yep, I had updated the AMD catalyst about a week ago. I closed all programs and started again, and it worked, thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was having HDMI sound issues with my ASUS R510L too. I tried accessing HDMI controls in "manage devices" but HDMI is not even showing up in there,like it does not exist. After a week of trying a lot of suggestions from the web, I got it to work by restarting the computer with the UMC-200 already hooked up via the HDMI. Sound is now working via HDMI. Just waiting for my UMIK-1 mic and I'll be diving into REW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I understand there is an issue with REW detecting the UMIK-1 when running REW with Windows 10 and the only workaround currently, short of changing the O/S, is to calibrate the UMIK-1 manually with a sound meter. Can someone please confirm if this is true. I have confirmed it for myself having tried it.

The information I found suggested you could calibrate the UMIK-1 manually with a RadioShack meter. I do own the RS meter but, have yet to find instructions on the process and have not been able to guess correctly yet.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to get this working properly.

Please add my request to have the UMIK-1 auto-detect in REW 5.x work properly with Windows 10.

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the quick response. I did see this previously and have now set it up as per those instructions. It seems to work properly. I needed to set the "level" in the windows 10 control panel to 80 out of 100 to get enough gain from the microphone to make REW happy.

My confusion was around requiring an external reference, such as the RS meter to calibrate the UMIK-1 under Windows 10 as mentioned in the REW Startup Guide V.4.3

thanks again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm using a MacBookPro and the Mac version of REW. Is it possible to direct swipes to individual speakers (channels) using the HDMI port on the Mac ? Does Soundflower enable this ? Is there a Mac user here who has accomplished this and can can assist ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Gents,

First of all I'm impressed that REW is a free program and supported by such a strong user group here => as well as the amazing continued revisions from the Author (John) :clap:

I bought a MiniDSP UMIK-1 Mic based on the recommendations here, and I finally got some time last night, and spent a few hours with the basement set up, and installed REW on a small Home Theater PC I had built last year (mostly for tunes).

The learning curve seems steep, so I read a lot before, and during my efforts, last night. Had I found this thread and it's reference to "Using the UMIK-1 and REW with HDMI output - Windows" earlier, I probably would have cut the effort in half. :laugh2: The basement setup (although not on a Laptop) fit this scenario perfectly. The mapping of HDMI channel numbers isn't displayed on my setup, but it was easy enough to figure them out. My biggest effort was to get the ASIO4ALL driver setup & configured to work. The manuals I read said to use 16 Bit for the devices and it took a while to conclude that was not going to work. The UMIK-1 goes to a default setting ("greyed out" & unchangeable in my Box) of 24 Bit and that needs to agree with the output device or it just doesn't work.

My only issue now seems that I could only get individual Speakers driven by REW. (All of them it seems - one at a time) but I keep seeing references to capturing data from L+R+Sub, and no mater how many times I look around I'm missing how to get that enabled? (I also didn't catch that pointing the UMIK-1 right at the speaker being measured was more accurate than at the Ceiling so I get to redo those measurements.) Am I missing something here or is this L+R+Sub function not available with an HDMI setup on Windows7?

Originally, I was planning to use an old Acer Laptop update to Windows 7 with an external Creative USB sound card (Model SB1095) with the UMIK-1 and REW to check out some systems for friends and family (once I get proficient) but it lacks an HDMI connection. So I may just move around my Mini-Box Home Theater PC instead.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts