Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am not an expert and some people here are better than me. If I am not mistaken: open the preference panel, soundcard window, select asio in the drivers box , you select in the "output" menu the left channel (1.1), and at right side of the panel in the "timing reference output" box you select the right channel (1.2) and, in the receiver, bass management is setup let us say for instance that the xover is at 80hz. The sub is on. Rew will send the signal in the 2 fronts and the sub L+R+sub.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FargateOne, I don't see the information quite as you describe.

In the Output Drop down elevator is: 1: HD Audio HDMI out #0 1 and the last numeral changes up to 8 for the rest of the eight selections. 2: HD Audio HDMI out #0 1 for it's eight possible selections as well. (That's why I described earlier I had to figure out which output was what speaker. Not too hard.)

On our Denon receiver I've shut down Multi EQ and Dynamic EQ. I'll try to generate a sweep with different channels (last numbers ) and advise.

Thanks for the assist.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Gents,

I set up today and ran some sweeps but now when I try to get the Rears done they engage the Sub at the same time. I guess it could be a glitch, or I'll have to fine what combo it is for the Right Output Drop down elevator box.

Do you have any other suggestions gents?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Jim
I have dropped a couple of suggestions in reply to your post in the UMIK1 thread, whether they will help or not I don't know I'm not very expert either but knowing the Denon AVR's reasonably well the suggestions may work.

Re not much out of the sub, mine ran rather too loud still investigating that though may be a room mode or possibly a problem with the sub :frown:

All the best
Rick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Rick,

You brought up a good point over there (my Rears are set to "Small") and I'll probably take a look at just switching the Sub off as it's a simple solution (And I like simple.).

However, it hasn't been explicitly stated (or at least I haven't found it yet), but is the normal procedure to shut off the Receiver's Automatic Calibration/ EQ Correction settings.
(Think Denon's Audyssey dynamic EQ, or Sony's D.C.A.C. (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration)
I know one could run sweeps both ways, and manually set speaker distances if the auto function is turned off, but I wonder which method most use. If I remember my Denon manual, I think one can tweak the Auto settings after they are set.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Rick,

You brought up a good point over there (my Rears are set to "Small") and I'll probably take a look at just switching the Sub off as it's a simple solution (And I like simple.).

However, it hasn't been explicitly stated (or at least I haven't found it yet), but is the normal procedure to shut off the Receiver's Automatic Calibration/ EQ Correction settings.
(Think Denon's Audyssey dynamic EQ, or Sony's D.C.A.C. (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration)
I know one could run sweeps both ways, and manually set speaker distances if the auto function is turned off, but I wonder which method most use. If I remember my Denon manual, I think one can tweak the Auto settings after they are set.
Hi Jim,
It only takes a second or two to set the speaker to large in the manual settings menu, when you set it back to small the crossover frequency originally set (either by you or Audyssey) is restored. I would also switch off the sub as well (belt and braces) and then do the sweep according to the frequency response of your rears mainly the LF will be different and if anything like mine will be somewhere between 50Hz and 80Hz.

Room Correction ON or OFF - IMHO the choice is yours and depends on what you are trying to do. If for instance you want to see what difference the Room Correction is making, then you do one set of sweeps at the main LP with it OFF and one set with it ON and compare the results using the overlay feature, there is probably more advanced comparisons you can do in REW but I haven't got there yet. If you are going to make adjustments using a DSP unit or tweaks to the Audyessey settings then I guess it should be ON

If however you are wanting to see what your speakers capability is then you would do it with Room Correction OFF with the UMIK1, according to normal practice, about 39 inches from the speaker, standard UMIK1 cal loaded and level set accordingly (I tend to use 70dB SPL pink noise set by the sig gen and spl meter in REW) the UMIK1 should be positioned, at the height of, in line and pointed at the tweeter. There will still be some room and cabinet contribution but you will get a good idea of what your speaker is doing. I have gone closer around 12 inches and got similar results but at that distance the wave front, I believe, has not properly formed to be coherent. If you wanted to do it properly then located outside (in the garden):eek: well off the ground:yikes: is the only way without an anechoic chamber.

You might want to check out FargateOnes post in the UMIK1 thread where you posted the photos of your adaptor. Very useful information on measuring your sub woofer it has resolved my worry over 2nd harmonic distortion.

Hope this helps

Rick

61 - 68 of 68 Posts