Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had the opportunity to pick up some '70s and 80's higher end mid-fi gear.

I would like to sell it as I don't need it and was wondering what y'all thought of the values.

1 - McIntosh Mac 4100 receiver, everything appears to work, can't say if it is perfect, but it sounds alright.

2 - ADS L980 speakers some fading and minor scratches. All drivers sound good, without speaker stands they sound a bit bass heavy when driven by the Mac 4100.

1 - Thoren's TD 125 with tone arm and cartridge. I haven't plugged it in yet, but looks ok. Seems to be missing plinth and dust cover.

1 - Nackamichi 680 zx tape deck. Haven't tested yet.

1 - Pioneer SX-1010 receiver, everything seems to function OK.

2 - Bose 901 Series 1 speakers with equalizer in good cosmetic condition, and seem to play OK. I know the history on these as my brother bought them new, and I am selling them for his widow.

I have looked at ebay pricing and it's all over the place on some of the stuff like the Nakamichi and the Bose 901's.

I also have a NAD tuner, preamp and power amp from the early 90's that I bought new that I'll be selling as well.

I am looking for values, as well as ideas on where to sell it. I could go EBay, Audiogon, Craigslist, would like the easiest sale without sacrificing too much price wise.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Paul

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done an initial assessment of what I have;

The receiver does everything well, except the tuning meters seem to need calibration, they work but don't seem to be where they should be when properly tuned into a station.

The speakers sound pretty decent, I think they need to be raised off the floor to get rid of a bit of bass bloom. There ae a few scratches and a bit of sun bleach on the tops.

The Nakamichi seems to playback well, but I am not too sure about its recording abilities. It also makes a bit of a groan when you press stop.

The turntable plays exceptionally well, but is missing a plinth and dust cover. It has a Shure 3009 tone arm.

Joe, I will check out the site you mention.

Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts