Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vanatoo - Room 478

Sorry, forgot to snap photos. Here is a link to the Vanatoo web site.

Models represented:

No code has to be inserted here.

Wayne's Impressions

The tiny Vanatoo Transparent One at first struck me as a mouse that snuck in among the generally BIG - and sometimes HUGE - RMAF showpiece beasts. But it stands pretty tall on its own once you take a close look. In fact, if you could figure a way to fairly ratio the features and performance over the price of these Transparent Ones vs. all the big beast systems at the show, the tiny Transparent Ones would probably win.

An integrated 60W/channel class D amp drives an aluminum cone woofer and a silk dome tweeter. I somewhat favor a front port over the rear passive radiator so closeness to walls is less of an issue, but then cabinet size would have to grow, and the tiny size is part of what I liked about them. They did not sound particularly small, either, with the bass -3 dB point at 48 Hz (to 20 KHz at the top, +/-3 dB). They do not go super loud, topping out at a 95 dB SPL in a typical room, but they sounded very neutral to me, and that makes up for a lot. Add to that features like multiple input types, automatically sensed - analog, USB digital, Toslink optical digital, and coax digital, all digital inputs with up to 24/96 resolution/bitrate, a sub output with automatic crossover activation, volume, bass, and treble controls, integrated DSP, compatibility with common wireless interfaces, a left-right reverse switch for easy setup, a switched AC power output, sleep mode power less than 1W, 3/4" MDF with real wood veneer, 6.5 x 10 x 8 inch dimensions each, and 28 lb. total weight for a pair, all cabling included... (whew!) - and what you really have is a tiny beast performance-wise.

They really did sound outstanding: balanced, neutral tonality, very clean and clear, with respectable imaging and soundstage. I could see an engineer on the run or on the road throwing a pair into a bag as a portable reference. Mentioning this, the Vanatoo rep said that a mix engineer had recently borrowed a pair for an emergency mixing session and then immediately bought them once he found how accurate they were. At the price, one might almost feel like grabbing a pair to have around for a variety of just-in-case situations, easily a good choice for desktop or laptop-at-home sound output.

The Transparent One's get my Tiny/Fun/Performance/Value Product Award for the show.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wish I knew about these before I bought my last pair of speakers, they would be idle for my 2.1 channel zone 2. Argh!

I guess I have to start saving my pennies oh wait we don't have pennies anymore........nickels it is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After going through and reading all the info on web site I would really like a chance to hear these. Hopefully they will expand their retail partners to this part of the country.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts