Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its finally happened. I have finally made the jump to official Vandersteen owner and I couldn't be more thrilled. It happened a couple of days ago. I woke up and pulled the laptop onto my lap top. I did my usual morning browsing finally ending up on the audiogon website for my normal daily drool, hoping to stumble onto something to good to be true. While usually a futile waste of time, on this day, luck happened to be on my side. I enter my usual Vandersteen search and there in black print was an ad for a pair of 2ce signatures, which actually isn't a rare occurrence. However, this gentleman, happened to live in my city. To top that was the fact that he was actually looking to trade the pair for a good set of LCR speakers. At this point I was starting to get excited. He listed a few brand names, but unfortunately, my Ascends weren't on the list. I decided to send him an e-mail, and offer my set to see if he was interested. To my shear delight, I received a quick reply telling me that the Ascends were actually on his short list, and that he had been intrigued by the brand, with all the love it gets on the boards. With that, I packed up all of my 340se's and stand, and hit the road to his place. 45 minutes later I pulled up at his house. I was very pleased to see that the pictures really didn't do the Vandy's justice, they were in great shape, top to bottom, and man did they sound sweet. Being very familiar with the product, I was not surprised. My main concern was that he like the Ascends, that personally I think sounds great for the money, but really aren't in the same ballpark as the Vandersteens.

We hauled all my equipment up into his house and set everything up. I have to admit that I was pretty nervous sitting next to him for the listening test, but he liked what he heard, and I had my new (used) speakers on an even trade. I'm not a religious man, and have always said that I was Jewish until the age of reason, but God was looking down on me that day my friends. Everything just turned out my way, and the guy was just great.

Well, I got them home, called up a buddy, and set off dialing in the perfect room placement. After a few hours of critical listening, and a small yet terrifying wiring snafu (bad crimps, that gave of a slight static sound), my twins are up and running. All I can say is :yay:! They are everything I have been waiting for. The only unfortunate part, is that after proclaiming that my theater was done for the immediate future, I now have to upgrade my electronics to match my speakers. Even more of a problem is that now I have to find a VCC-2 center channel which are extremely rare on the used market, and a little to pricey new, so i guess this is a call to everyone, to give me a shout if you stumble across one.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Congrats, Maceo23!

I also really warmed to the Vandersteen sound and ended up with a set of my own. I had to wait for over a year before I found the center I wanted, but it finally showed up. Enjoy the 2Ces!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Actualy, I wouldn't mind hosting the Houston GTG, but my theater is very small, I really couldn't accomodate more that 3-4 people, so it wouldn't be much of a get together. Otto, is it just me, or does it seem that Vandersteen gets little love on the boards. It really doesn't make sense to me. I know some people don't like the black sock appearence, but they are far from objectionable. In my opinion, there is nothing on the market that comes close to the performance for the money, and used, they are just a steal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had two 2ci's, I loved them so much I got two more. ( couldn't find the VSM's at a good price...)

What are you using to run them?

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Hey Maceo23,

I'm not sure why Vandersteens aren't as popular as some other speakers, but I'll give my thoughts. First, I think you're right in that their physical appearance isn't as appealing as other speakers. Some consider them a non-starter just because of that, and some worry that kids or pets will attack the socks (but the black sock thing seems to work for Definitive...). Similary, they're also big and imposing, and won't fit into many decors. Second, since they are not available in Best Buy and other major electronics retailers, they just don't get the visibility that products available in big stores do. Many people interested in HT and audio might still be put off by going into a "real" hi-fi shop, and that's the only place they're available. Third, their website is ancient, so maybe some discount them for that. Finally, they're somewhat expensive -- I read a lot of people that want "bang for the buck." If you want a 5.1 system for $1K, then the Vandersteens will seem very expensive. Of course, if you shop used, there are good deals to be found (I bought all five of my Vandersteens on AudiogoN).

But, if you can overcome the above, they are great speakers. I've had mine for almost two years now, and I don't have any plans to change. Well, I would like the Quattros, but I don't want to pay for them!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I would have to agree with everything you said, Otto. As for the Quatro's, I fully agree with you, they are absolutely stunning, but definately on the pricey side. My main issue is that last week I finally proclaimed that I was officially at a point in my theater that I could quit spending money. It wasn't at a point where I was able to say that I didn't want to upgrage, but it was finally in a place where I was satisfied enough to stop digging myself further into debt. I figured I could hold off until the wife finished school. Now, I need a new center. My receiver (Marantz SR7500) needs to be upgraded to preferably seprates. Lastly, I think I'm gonna rebuild my sub, and go from sonotube to an enormous sealed enclosure. WILL IT EVER END????

probably not

·
Registered
228 Posts
To chime in a little on why they (the Vandys) don't get a lot of love on the boards... IMHO, it has a lot to do with what has already been said, and it also has a lot to do with they're not "new and exciting". By that I mean that they're not a new brand, but of course extremely well established brand. They don't tout any "new" technology (despite claims; neither do 99.9% of everybody else), and they're not flashy. Make no mistake in sales though...Richard Vandersteen isn't flying his own personal jet all over the world because he's poor! One thing they do do is: They just happen to sound terrific and as you've said are probably one of the best deals in all of audio $ for $. I owned a pair of 2ci's for years and I loved them. Had I another room now that wasn't already equipped, I'd get a pair of 2ce sigs in a second and never look back.
I'm tired of waiting for my Eggleston Works Andras...
Cheers,
Konky.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Vandersteens are great sounding speakers I had the opportunity to listen to a pair at our local Hi Fi shop years ago and really liked the sound however the price tag was way out of my range. the Vandersteens are in a very select few homes because of this but none the less worth every penny if you have them.
Just like so many other brands of speakers that are hard to find my Missions that are made in Brittan very few have heard them because they were only available in the north American market for a few years back in the early 90's before they decided to build speakers that would cater to the low end market and almost bankrupted them.
Tannoy is another speaker manufacturer that doesn't get the praise that its due.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Superchad has brought up a point, and a fact that has actually been right in front of me/us for decades, yet I failed through a lack of critical thinking to become consciously aware of it. The fact is that Richard Vandersteen's products represent the pinnacle of performance in their price range in EVERY SINGLE MODEL HE MAKES. I really don't know of many others that can make that claim much less make it a fact.

Thanks Chad for finally getting my head into it's thinking mode and as I said; finally getting me seeing something that has been in front of me/us the whole time.

Oh, and thanks to Mr. Vandersteen for all of his hard work and research that has resulted in such high quality products for such a long period of time. Consistency of excellence is so hard to come by today and I'm sure it's also advantageous when one wants to acquire one's own jet...:clap:

Cheers,
Konky.

·
Registered
301 Posts
FWIW my father has toyed with upgrade to 5A but is so happy with Quatro woods he cant justify the $8000 upcharge. When he traded in his Legacy Focus 20/20 and had them boxed up the dealer gave him 1C speakers to hold him over, now they are certainly budget compared to the $6000 Legacy but my dad really liked what they had to offer above the hotter Legacy sound reinforcing my point of Vandersteens across the board appeal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Vandersteens do get respect. Any speaker company which has stayed in buisness since 1977 gets props in my book. The trouble with Vandersteens for the more tweako of our brethren is that they sound decent with any reasonable placement, seem relatively impervious to cable swaps and present a reasonable load for any competent amplifer. Although possesing "Plain Jane" looks, there is something about Vandersteens which compels you to sit back and just listen to music for hours. My Spica tc-60, SVS sub combo do much the same!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sometimes I liken Vandersteen speakers as a "Grown ups speaker" because time and time again they have customers who have evolved into them from countless other speakers that always leave them on the upgrade treadmill. while they ofcourse are not for everyone and I dont own them (my dad does) I stand by my self created modo. Yup they are almost all boring and plain looking and have been for over 30yrs and that speaks volumes about how good they are if your willing to listen to truth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suppose "Grown Up Speaker" is a good way to describe them. Its not a title with very much cache, but I suppose its a good thing, because I finally feel like I don't need to always be pinning for the latest and greatest. They just do everything so well. Now if a can fall into a great deal on electronics, I'll be set. Until then My Onkyo will have to suffice.

A

·
0 Posts
Ah, still have to try a Vandersteen. No pictures for us that haven't really seen them?

2lazy2google :p

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Here are some older pics of my setup (not the greatest, but they're here...). These are the 3A Signatures, and the center is the VCC-5.

100_4116small.jpg
100_4126small.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts