Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am new to The Shack, so hello! Have been a regular on AVS for many years - I am glad to have discovered another forum for great information.

It was suggested on another thread I put up a review of our VApex 106" tab tensioned electric screen... so here goes.

I decided to go this route as the screen came with a bundled deal with an Epson 6500UB. My setuo is a living room theater, so I needed something to be "hidden" during the daytime. When the day comes again for a dedicated HT (sold old house with dedicated HT and have missed it every day since) I will do up a fixed screen, likely to be a VApex.

Anyway - ordered up this screen based on a lot of research and the following conclusions:

1. Price for these screens is VERY hard to beat.
2. Wanted tab tensioned without spending more than the PJ.
3. Knew that Visual Apex would stand behind their products so I did not feel like I was gambling with my cash.
4. The 12v wireless trigger was (is) a sweet feature. YMMV of course as your PJ needs to have the trigger...

Shipping was great and the packaging was solid. The unit is a real tank and the mounting bracket setup is AWSOME. Basically you can tap into any set of studs you want, attach the brackets, and then attach the screen housing to them and slide it side to side to center where you want it. This was much better than some other cheaper screens that have set mounting points on the ends. The power cord is completely removable as well which is a nice feature.

Pics to follow once I have the proper amount of posts...

The PQ is fantastic, the motor is pretty quiet, and the screen is fully adjustable for drop. This worked well since our screen drops in front of our LCD right above a cabinet for night viewing. I was able to easily adjust the drop so the screen stops 1/4" above the cabinet.

My only caveat: The setup does not include an IR remote. It is RF only. This might be a deal breaker for some...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was part of a package deal from Visual Apex. They have several sizes and prices for the screens. Still loving it - absolutely no complaints!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got tired of debating over and over and reading and reading so I just went ahead and ordered the screen! 100" screen on the way.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So an update! I have installed my screen and have it running less than 24 hours now. My first impression when I used it wasn't a wow this is great. Installation was easy once we found a stud in the ceiling to use. The trigger out doesn't work all the time but who knows if it's the screen or the PJ.

Before I got this I used a sheet to test the PJ. Didn't look bad. The Vapex screen isn't given me that much of a great picture from the sheet! It looks a little better but not that much more. Amber light also affects the image big time. Without lights the screen is great but any light and the screen gets washed out and looks more brown. With the sheet images were clear even with full lights on. Not the same with this screen. Any lights affects the screen big time.

Overall I'm not that impressed with the screen but it was cost effective so I won't complain too much. I just wish it was a little better. Not I'm comparing this screen with bed sheet! It does look really nice installed in my HT room though! :) Oh the screen isn't that quite; to me at least.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quick question - when you mention the power cord is completely removable, do you mean that there is an option to hardwire the screen? If this screen is installed in a LR setup, I assume that you wouldnt want the power cord hanging there all the time... If not, how did you end up installing to not see the power cord?

Thanks!

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts