In connection with an earlier thread about smoothing, I was doing some experiments with REW. I took a single unsmoothed measurement and saved it twice under two different names, then using File, Open Measurement, I brought these two identical measurements into an empty project. Then I performed the following steps:
- Select All SPL and verify that the two graphs lie atop one another with a perfect match.
- Apply variable smoothing to measurement 1.
- Note that the graphs now differ slightly below 100 Hz, with the dip at around 55 Hz being filled in a bit in the variable smoothing case.
- Apply 1/48 oct smoothing to measurement 2
- Note that the graphs are identical below 100 Hz, while the variable smoothing case is smoother than the 1/48 oct case above 100 Hz.
I've attached the project with the two identical measurements below.REW documentation said:Variable smoothing applies no smoothing below 100 Hz, 1/3 octave above 10 kHz and varies between 1/48 and 1/3 octave from 100 Hz to 10 kHz, reaching 1/6 octave at 1 kHz.
362.6 KB Views: 19