·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vaughn Loudspeakers - Room 9007

Available Models with Ionosphere Plasma Tweeter:

No code has to be inserted here.

Wayne's Impressions

The Vaughn Plasma tweeter is currently a rebuilt Dukane Ionosphere plasma tweeter, originally offered back in the '60s. These tweeters are available as more are found that can be procured and rebuilt or as they are supplied by customers. An updated design is being completed and tooled for production in the near future.

The Vaughn Loudspeaker company builds efficient speakers using simple high-grade crossovers, renewable bamboo ply cabinets with Marmoleum over 13-ply Baltic Birch front & back panels, with powered bass drivers (larger models).

I honestly was so distracted by the sound of the tweeter, or should I say by smooth, clean highs that seemed to say, "Ain't to tweeters around here, just music!" that I did not notice or think to write down any other observations about the speakers. The plasma tweeters are all music, with flat response out to 150 KHz with +/- 1/2 dB variation according to the designer. That might be just a little overkill, but the part of that range you can here is so flat and clear that they are tough to beat with an electro-mechanical design.

I might have been hypnotized by the purple glow of those tweeters. Discovering the transparent smoothness of plasma tweeters was one of the high points of the weekend for me.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I'm going to have make it out to Denver next year. There are so many interesting speaker designs that I would love to hear and this one is near the top of the list. Considering that this is such a unique and obviously low volume design the price seems very reasonable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What do you mean by "purple glow"? I can't tell by the pics what you mean.

It looks like the tweeter is horn loaded; is that incorrect? Or is that whole thing the tweeter? I'm particularly fascinated by the fact that it is vertically oriented. Most tweeters utilizing a horn structure are either horizontally oriented or at least square. I'd love to hear these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts