Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on building one or two 4cu.ft. sealed 15" Rythmiks. Not sure if I'll do the standard version or the hp. Anyway I new I wanted them to be finished in wood to match my house, but have never veneered anything. So I got some samples from veneersupplies and ta-da!! It went very well. So easy in fact I am just itch'n to get the project started. Got all my mdf for free off a job too. I have some pics of the sample with rounded corners, but being new here I don't have enough posts yet :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have narrowed it down to zebra, mahogany, or cherry. If $ is not an issue when I am ordering I'll probably go for rosewood though. :D
What veneer product (raw, paper-backed, etc.), what application method (contact cement, peel-stick, etc.), tools used (rollers, scrapers, dowels, etc.)? Tips for success for others wishing to try veneer for the 1st time?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What veneer product (raw, paper-backed, etc.), what application method (contact cement, peel-stick, etc.), tools used (rollers, scrapers, dowels, etc.)? Tips for success for others wishing to try veneer for the 1st time?
I did the iron on method using paperbacked veneer.

1. Roll on glue(I used titebond 2 for the test) but will use Better Bond Heat Lock for the subs.
Apply the glue to the veneer back and the surface of the box you are going to use first. Make sure not to get any glue on the face of the veneer. Tape down the veneer to avoid this.
2. Wait for them to dry... about 30 mins. No longer than 1 hour.
3. Align the veneer on the box and cover with a thin cotton sheet.(like one layer of a pillow case.)
4. With the iron set to cotton or med/high start ironing while applying downward pressure. It doesn't take long for the adheason. You can always go back and iron some more if you find a loose corner.
5. Trim.... I tried this with just a box cutter with decent results. The knife did tear out the edge just a little. So on the next side I used a router with excellent results.
6. lighty sand veneer and edges

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use the iron/glue method but always apply two coats to veneer and box. I use aircraft grade veneers with wood backing which are thicker than normal (maybe 1/16") These are flame retardant but work great. Due to their thicknes I usually use solid wood corners and die the veneer at the edge then trim with solid wood. Hides everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts