Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
What would that vent do exactly? If sealed is what I have to do to get down to the lower 20's without exploding, that's fine I guess.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Please note that I am by no means an expert here - maybe someone else can pipe up with an idea. I have built a sub that had a similar class driver that has the same excursion pattern at about 23 Hz. It sounds fine as long as I don't feed it movies with real real low bass.

I'm just concerned about your desire to go lower then 27Hz and stay "very low budget".

Also, if anything else, this would make a decent sealed sub in a 1.8 cubic foot box.

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
What would that vent do exactly? If sealed is what I have to do to get down to the lower 20's without exploding, that's fine I guess.
I have heard that an aperiodic vent will give a sealed sub a bit more low end extension, but no one seems to know how to model them except with trial and error. I also doubt it would get you to the low 20's.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am a moron. I was getting too hung up on the F3 and ignoring all the other stuff. Here is a 4.2 cubic foot box with three PR's with 300 grams on each (closer to what you calculated in post #34). It looks pretty good across the board and should get you close to 20Hz.

Let this be a lesson in not chasing one metric!

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
What happens when only two are used?

** Edit: Could you model a 16*16*36 (= 4.23 ft^3 ) sealed? I can't get WinISD working for the life of me.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just two would be like a higher tune. For the 4.2 cubic foot box it looks like the attached. A 6 cubic foot box is earlier. A sealed box of the same size looks like a sealed box with an F3 of 55 Hz (see post 44).

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
No, I meant just a 4.23 sealed set up, with out any of the PR's just to see the response vs. excursion.

·
Registered
866 Posts
No, I meant just a 4.23 sealed set up, with out any of the PR's just to see the response vs. excursion.
Yeah, post #44 above has that plot. It is in a larger box but they look almost identical. Where the dark line crosses the red line is where the driver has overexcursion. As you can see it is always well within the mechanical limits.

Try not to get too hung up on the excursion graphs. Remember that these graphs are assuming you are getting the full 200 watt signal at each frequency. Also, the xmax is the maximum linear response - you have some more excursion past that before you start damaging things.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah, I hear you about the shipping cost on the Mach 5 stuff. There's a load of drivers on their way to Sound Solutions Audio in Maryland and they plan to offer flat rate shipping to folks south of 49.

So if you're still in the mind for budget drivers, Aaron will be carrying the MJ-18 and MAW-15 units first off.

Best regards,
Mark

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
It'll be great to have these drivers "locally". They're now at the top of the budget drivers list. Any idea how much shipping will cost?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well, I've got it all build and done. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get to crank it up. =D I'm letting the woodglue dry overnight.

I went with a 20*20*40, since I'm not feeding it much with this amp I'm currently using.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts