Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm 19 and very new to home theater as a hobby and I've been reading up for the last couple years, slowly learning and working to buy new gadgets and what not. Well recently, I just placed an order for a new PB-13 Ultra and I've been very slowly been reading up on REW, looks to be a very neat and powerful program, but its still all very foreign to me. Anyway, I've calibrated my sound blaster audigy 2 ZS, and I am trying to calibrate my SPL meter using my speakers until my sub gets here. The problem I've been having, whether it be calibrating the meter, or checking levels, is that I get an incredibly high pitched whine coming from my speakers when I begin to slowly turn up the volume, its quite scary and I turn it back down really quickly, could this be audible clipping thats happening?

I also forgot to mention that I am sending the signal through my multichannel inputs in my Yamaha RX-V2700.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It could be some kind of appliance with electical noise like maybe some fluorescent lighting, which have higher pitched noise, or could also be something such as a bad ground on a television cable, which could be fixed easily by turning off the light, or adding a ground loop isolator, or even a line level transformer to convert unbalanced for rca to balanced or a power conditioner to place power connections into. It may also be noise in the computer since components may not be isolated. One easy way to tell if it something such as lights or an appliance is to get a handheld radio and dial in the station with some noise, then move the radio around the room tell it gets louder. You could also try adjusting the wiring to see if that helps. It may also be something as simple as you require an external soundcard. Just going to need to track down the source.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
On the Audigy 2 ZS there is a Record Advanced Controls setting for "Record without monitoring" that must be selected to prevent a feedback loop. If I remember correctly it is accessed by clicking the red + next to the record source selection in the Creative mixer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts