Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the Optoma HD20 as my first projector. It seems to be getting pretty good reviews for its price.

I have a interesting "man-cave" configuration. My room has one of those ledges that runs the perimeter of the room that is great for setting your beer down but terrible for a wall mounted screen. The area above the ledge between the ceiling is 44 inches which equates for a 82-ish inch fixed screen. I am debating a much larger (100+ inch) motorized drop down screen that would come down in front of the ledge. I was thinking about a cheap DIY option to see if the 80something would be good enough.

My own idea was a piece of drywall painted a pure white. I figure this would be a cheapish way of testing different colors.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
184 Posts
i have the HD20 and i would definitely recommend the projector. there has been some concern over the black levels which reality is not a problem during viewing.

even if you have a bat-cave i think you would do yourself a favour by considering a gray screen rather than white as it will help improve the perceived black levels with the hd20.

my wall is gray in color and i am projecting over 120 inches diagonally without any problems,

the DIY mixes we can offer are black widow which is a high contrast paint, scorpion which is lighter and C&S for bat-cave conditions. an off the shelf neutral gray matte paint will suffice aswell if you dont feel adventurous.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts