Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stupid question, I just to want to double check before I prove wrong my bro-in-law. :boxer:
Since he owns a pull down fixed (high gain a dark gray) screen. I gave him a piece of cardboard painted with BW (CIL/AAAF 4:1, as we know Mech/Harpmaker proved it is not the best combo), to test it against his 120" glory. So last week he said, his screen is darker than BW sample, and blacks looked better on his, however whites looked better on BW piece.... That tells you again, that this type of testing is very inaccurate and useless. Yesterday we chated and he said, another reason why he didn't go for DYI paint solution is the viewing angle, as he said that the colors/picture fades away when he changes the angles comparing to his screen. My thinking is how can you compare 20"x16" piece of cardboard against 120" screen?... I'm sure he would see the same affect if he compared he compare a small sample from his screen against 120" fully painted BW screen...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't vewing cone, almost 180 degrees using above paints?

He is one of those guys, whatever he buys HAS to be the best, as a result he is trying to justifying why his $700 (high gain dark gray screen) is "better" than DIY paint solutions.

Either way please advise or better post a link(s) that I can send it to him.... :reading:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Black Widow for all intents and purposes has a 180 degree viewing cone. I doubt he is seeing a narrow cone/ half gain like he is describing.

He is one of those guys, whatever he buys HAS to be the best, as a result he is trying to justifying why his $700 (high gain dark gray screen) is "better" than DIY paint solutions.
I think you summed it up. Nothing is going to convince someone like this otherwise.

BTW, what make/model screen does he have? There are only a couple of commercial screens darker than a BW.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
If any screen is causing a color change with viewing angle, I would suspect it would be his commercial one. :neener:

I would suggest not wasting time arguing with your brother-in-law over this, it sounds like he may be one of those people that fall into the category of "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts!". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Black Widow for all intents and purposes has a 180 degree viewing cone. I doubt he is seeing a narrow cone/ half gain like he is describing.

I think you summed it up. Nothing is going to convince someone like this otherwise.

BTW, what make/model screen does he have? There are only a couple of commercial screens darker than a BW.
I'm in the process of the getting this info

A 'high gain' dark gray screen, which is darker than Black Widow, will have a viewing cone. BW has none.
Hmmm, I guess not according to him :duh: :rofl:

If any screen is causing a color change with viewing angle, I would suspect it would be his commercial one. :neener:

I would suggest not wasting time arguing with your brother-in-law over this, it sounds like he may be one of those people that fall into the category of "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts!". :rolleyes:
Thanks Guys, the case is closed :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Not meaning to put down the Gray Wolf, but it's basically a free giveaway screen a lot of companies bundle with a projector. It's nothing like the Grayhawk. It has a similar name for marketing reasons only. Think more along the lines of those free A/V cables that come with a DVD player... the professional opinion is to throw them out and get something better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not meaning to put down the Gray Wolf, but it's basically a free giveaway screen a lot of companies bundle with a projector. It's nothing like the Grayhawk. It has a similar name for marketing reasons only. Think more along the lines of those free A/V cables that come with a DVD player... the professional opinion is to throw them out and get something better.
So I guess it is safe to say, S&C, BW and Scorpion (although still in beta) should be at least not worst (and most likely better) than Gray Wolf !!! :T:yay2:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I think that would be safe to say.

A lot of people have gone with the Gray Wolf, mainly because it was either bundled with their projector, or it was inexpensive and the name sounds a lot like the Gray Hawk. Many though have complained about it and sparklies was one of many common complaints.

Some people really love it though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that would be safe to say.

A lot of people have gone with the Gray Wolf, mainly because it was either bundled with their projector, or it was inexpensive and the name sounds a lot like the Gray Hawk. Many though have complained about it and sparklies was one of many common complaints.

Some people really love it though.
Thanks, it is always good to know about this stuff.. :bigsmile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts