Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wonder if this is right or I am missing something.

I heard a youtube conversation with a THX guy that the viewing angle you want for cinemascope is 50deg.

Using this calculator

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

If I put the 100" width I get a distance of 9 feet for a 49.7 deg angle. Seem a tad close but maybe thats were the "immersive" comes from.

Does a curved screen let you sit closer without the eye fatigue (tennis match eyes). Does it matter what the radius of the curve is? what does more curve if you if anything.

While I am at it.....

Accoustically transparent screens:

Users say they affect the sound of the speakers
Manufacturers say they don't
Some say horn speakers are better for behind AT screens
Others say it doesn't matter

Speakers behind the screen. Since you don't seem them Ugly is perfectly fine. So what about the smaller commercial speakers from Klipish, Snell, JBL, EV, etc

Found this as well:
www.stewartfilmscreen.com/white_paper/curvedscreens_derskine_wp.pdf

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I am wonder if this is right or I am missing something.

I heard a youtube conversation with a THX guy that the viewing angle you want for cinemascope is 50deg.

Using this calculator

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

If I put the 100" width I get a distance of 9 feet for a 49.7 deg angle. Seem a tad close but maybe thats were the "immersive" comes from.
Scope viewing with a 1080p projector can be as close as 2x the screen height..Generally most people sit at 2.5 - 3.0 times the height..

Does a curved screen let you sit closer without the eye fatigue (tennis match eyes).
Flat or curved, the viewing distance is the same..

Does it matter what the radius of the curve is? what does more curve if you if anything.
The curvature of the screen is to reduce pincushion effect when using an anamorphic lens..It only needs to be curved enough to square the image..
That will be determined by your throw ratio and projector distance from the screen..

Accoustically transparent screens:

Users say they affect the sound of the speakers
Manufacturers say they don't
Some say horn speakers are better for behind AT screens
Others say it doesn't matter
The attenuation of sound when using an AT screen is minimal and most don't notice any difference..

Speakers behind the screen. Since you don't seem them Ugly is perfectly fine. So what about the smaller commercial speakers from Klipish, Snell, JBL, EV, etc
You can place any brand or size of speaker (providing there's sufficient space) behind an AT screen..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts