Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member at the site. I am a sound professional and have been a hifi nut sense high school (now 64). I have built and sold speaker systems off and on for over 30 years. My objective is to build audio overkill for the least possible cost. I am a firm beliver that older vintage speakers are the best way acomplish this. I am single so size is not a problem. I have the componets to build a pair Altec mo#19s, a pair Altec 920 full range speakers for rear chanels, and a klipsh hersey for a center chanel. Also have plans to build a new center chanel to be a closer match to the altecs. These speakers are all close to 100db with a 1 watt input, so power is also not a problem. Also there is no need for a sub. I can't wait to hear the system, but it will be a few months before I will be able to get it all together.

Any comments?

Rondaltx

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Hello and Welcome to HTS.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Glad to see you at Home Theater Shack! It will be interesting to follow your system as you build it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Welcome aboard the Shack!

Altec's were not junk and I highly suspect that they would still sound very good. This will be an interesting build. some pictures would be great to see.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Shack. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello and welcome to HTS!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Altecs make for an excellent HT with stellar Dynamics. Welcome.
JJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Altec speakers do not have the transcient response your Martin Logans have, but come as close as any speaker I know of to electrostats. I have found that to me, other than a full freq response, transcient response is the most important aspect of a speaker system to enable the sound to be close to real live performances. I have also found that most reviewers seem to be unaware of this fact, or just ignore it in their reviews. For all the so called problems most people say horns have, the transcient response of horns over come these problems in my listening experence. Wish Electrostats were in my budget.

rdaltx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts