Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Bucky!

Back then Japanese speakers were generally considered to be junk. The common wisdom was to stick with manufacturers that specialized in speakers (and for the most part still holds today).

One way to tell for sure – is the tweeter a small paper cone-type (i.e. a tiny version of the drivers used for the woofs and mids)? Cone tweeters are the absolute bottom feeders of high frequency drivers.

Regards,
Wayne
What if the tweeter driver is made of graphite such as the drivers in the Pioneer HPM-500,700,900,1100 and 1500 speakers?

I wish I still had some of the gear I went through in the 70's. I still have a Marantz mid-fi turntable, but most of the stuff I sold off years ago.

It still hurts though to think of the Marantz 2270 receiver I threw in the dump just a couple of years ago. It had a weak channel for a long time, and then started blowing fuses. I got tired of storing it and just threw it out. I really wish I'd looked into getting it repaired.

Yes replacing old caps makes a difference, but its even better to re-build all new Biased crossovers, which changes the crossover from class AB to Class A.

I can see where using those foam bases would help on a hard wood floor, much like using spikes on carpet, as I've done.
I'll bite. What's a biased crossover? What is a Class AB crossover? What is a Class A crossover?

I call my bedroom system semi-vintage:
(2)JBL L-7s
(2)JBL L-1s
JBL CL-505 Center
Kenwood 3090 surround receiver with the main outs feeding a Phase Linear 400 II

Myself and many others feel that the L-7s are the most underated JBL ever built. They are very dependent on placment, but with much time spent moving them around inch by inch, you can find a spot where their sound and staging become more than awsome. I was never happy with them in the livingrm, but the move to a 20'x15' bedrm and proper placment made me a believer.

rdaltx-Dallas, TX

Some vintage gear still is quite nice by todays standards, plus it just feel right to be turning knobs and flipping switches. I currently still have a nice '76 Sony STR7045 receiver and '76 Dynaco A25XL bookshelf speakers made in Denmark by SEAS. I'm looking for a vintage turntable.
Just sold my AR-XB turntable, Technics SLD2 turntable, Sansui AU717 integrated amp and AT717 tuner, and Polk RTA11T speakers.

I still have my Advent loudspeakers, c. 1974, and they are still connected to a Universal Tiger power amplifier and FET preamp that was built from a magazine article in Popular Electronics. The turntable is a Lenco L75, a Swedish design that housed a Shure V15 Type III until my son smashed it. The FM tuner is a Heathkit model I built in 1970. Oh, yes, I still have a pair of Koss Pro 4AA headphones, and you can't beat the bass on those babies.

I still have my Advent loudspeakers, c. 1974, and they are still connected to a Universal Tiger power amplifier and FET preamp that was built from a magazine article in Popular Electronics. The turntable is a Lenco L75, a Swedish design that housed a Shure V15 Type III until my son smashed it. The FM tuner is a Heathkit model I built in 1970. Oh, yes, I still have a pair of Koss Pro 4AA headphones, and you can't beat the bass on those babies.
I'd wouldn't mind adding a Lenco L75 to my Sony receiver/ Dynaco speakers to play my collection of Jazz, classical, and rock albums. I wish I still had my Thorens TD125/SME tonearm, but that is long gone along with my double Advents, HK Citation pre, Sony F3200 power amp, and Scott tuner.

I'd wouldn't mind adding a Lenco L75 to my Sony receiver/ Dynaco speakers to play my collection of Jazz, classical, and rock albums. I wish I still had my Thorens TD125/SME tonearm, but that is long gone along with my double Advents, HK Citation pre, Sony F3200 power amp, and Scott tuner.
I always wanted an SME tonearm, all the more after I bought the Type III. By the time I could afford one, vinyl was fading. I bet the SME was beatch-in' on the Thorens. Was the Scott tuner a tube model?

Gsmollin,

The Thorens/ SME combo is hard to beat. I used a Stanton 681EE cart at that time. All were state-of the art in early '70s when I bought them new. The dumbest thing I ever did was selling it. The Thorens/SME would be my dream vintage TT today but very pricey and hard to come by in good cond.

The Scott was not tube but still the highly regarded LT-112B FM only tuner.
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/reviewsS-Z.html#scott

Who is not seduced by vintage HI FI? The remaining piece of vintage equipment here is my beloved 1984 Luxman PX100 turntable. I am currently looking for a Sansui AU 717 integrated amp. It will be ther heart of a second system that will feature the Luxman. The main two channel system features a Clearaudio Emotion TT, the Luxman would be a perfect fit for that sweet vintage Sansui sound!!!! Any opinions out there?

Yes the AU717 is a good one. It has a bold, warm, detailed sounding. The matching AT717 should be on your list too. It is one of the finer FM tuners available. I had both, which I shouldn't have sold, and can testify that they sounded better than any other vintage pieces I've owned.

Discussion starter · #74 ·
My dubious little mind was blown recently when I found an ad for my twin arm Luxman 544 turntable that some guy wanted $1750 for - without tone arms (!!!). I think I will learn to value mine a little better. Thank God the Acoustats are back to working. GH

I don't know if mine quite qualify as "vintage" yet as they're from the early 80's, but I LOVE my A-150 series I. They do so much so well. They aren't exactly the most beautiful looking speakers of all time (I've refinished mine and redid the grills with black grill cloth) but they look good to me :D

This is them in my Living Room before I moved my Mini's back up here:

Some vintage gear still is quite nice by todays standards, plus it just feel right to be turning knobs and flipping switches.
That's what recently prompted me to buy a c. 1979 or 1980 Technics SA-500 for the "casual listening" two-channel set-up in my main-floor family room. It was exactly what I remembered - from the days of my youth - as being a very cool piece of hi-fi gear. And it looks great and sounds great! :bigsmile:

(I have it hooked up to a pair of Mordaunt-Short Carnival 6 towers. I use it for music from my Zune, and for audio from my TV, cable box and BD player.)

Attachments

My dubious little mind was blown recently when I found an ad for my twin arm Luxman 544 turntable that some guy wanted $1750 for - without tone arms (!!!). I think I will learn to value mine a little better. Thank God the Acoustats are back to working. GH
What model Acoustats?

61 - 80 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.