Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
81 - 100 of 118 Posts
Sonnie ,cool write up in Stereo Review.That was a serious HT system especially for the day.I bet 18" sub woofers were not very common although I think Snell produced one back then.The Snell B's,B minors and C's were all very good speakers.And of course the Mac stuff is built
to a very hi standard.
I remember reading about some 18" JBL home subs back in the day. I wanted one quite badly but it was way to expensive for me. It was mactched to some 4 ways with a 12" woofer. They were sort of pyramid shaped.

Ok, who is still seduced by vintage audio? There are quite a few followers of the 1970s classics. Double Large Advents anyone?
Back in the day, when The Advent Loundspeaker (they didn't have the "larger" Advent because that was the only model) was just release I bought a pair to mate with a Dynaco SCA-80 integrated amp, Thorens TD150 turntable, and Koss Pro4aa headphones. It was my first system after my little all-in-one portable shelf unit w/ flip down turntable, and the sound wowed me. Shortly after, I read the review on double advents in Stereophile (when it was a rag with no advertising) and purchase another pair, and all I can say is double wow, a huge difference. That started my journey down the road to audiophile equipment. :eek:lddude:

You know what was funny, I bought 16 ga lamp cord for speaker wire and built short speaker stands to get the double Advents off the floor 3.5" (thickness of 2x4 speaker base), because my ears told me it sounded better than 20 ga. zip cord speaker wire (common in the day) and speakers on the floor (too boomy).:T

Between 1978 and 1982 I gradually built up my first decent system consisting of a pair of Philips 3-way 70 Litre Hifi speakers, Sansui 4900Z Receiver, Technics SL-D303 Direct Drive Turntable and Philips GP-412 Cartridge/Stylus.

Here's the interesting bit: The Turntable is still in my system (1 drop of oil every year, and the control IC replaced about 3 years ago); The GP-412 cartridge still gets a run occasionally; The Sansui Receiver is still the core of my best mate's Hifi system; And the 1" Dome tweeters from those Philips speakers are still in use in my DIY Front Mains!

I have found real enjoyment from some of the old Carver gear. M-1.5t'-M-1.0ts and a TFM 25 and 35. Currently I am running a M-1.0t with a Denon 2808 for pre on my main 2 chan sys. Then I have a Carver C1 pre. along with a Carver TFM 25 for my "old school" vinyl system. I ran a Grant Tube Buffer on that one also and it sounds sweet.

I run a digital front end, but am ever enticed with buying a vintage 70's style turntable to begin my analog journey. :coocoo:

Go for it. Tubz even do well behind a SS Pre. as I had them on the TT system for a while-beautifull but not enough vlume to drive the outdoor speakers as well. Thats why the tube buffer:) The upgraded Carver C1 though is just a Very Black Canvas-utterly outstanding for anything especially vinyl.

20 year old Sony ES gear qualifies in my book. :T

I bought one of the first ES 1 bit CD players years ago. I waited at least 2 years for that tech to hit the market, and I pounced when it did. Great player, I fed it directly into a Teac 3 head cassette deck via AudioQuest Topaz IC's, using AKG K 240 'phones, to make tapes for my insane 12V system. I had the Teac and the $600 Audia car unit tape heads aligned by a tech to ensure a good tracking match. NO auto reverse to be had on either deck. :nono:

That was back in the day when you had to make your own passive crossovers or suffer the single cap on the tweeter coaxials. :eek:lddude:

It gets my vote for vintage. They realy made some great gear back then. They do now also but the realy good stuff is insanley expensive and in my humble opinion no better except in specific applications.

Recently brought my JBL 4311s out of a long time in storage. They still sound great. At one time, a good while back, someone told me there were more hit tunes mixed on the 4311s than any other model. They were found in a lot of recording studios. The JBL Century L100 is a very similar model, sold to the home consumer market at around the same time. The L100 appears to be the speaker that is blowing away the Maxell Man in that famous ad picture for Maxell tapes. The old JBLs can still keep up with, or even outperform many modern speakers.

Know what you mean. My old B&W 805s just keep on trucking and sound great-and the old school Wharfedale horn loaded just won't quit. Buy quality and if you respect it , you will have it for years to come.

I have a 1976 Marantz 2220B that I love, a 1978 Technics SA200 that sounds pretty good, a 1984 Harman Kardon PM 650 that is mint and sounds great and a pair of 1984 Time Window 1As that are terrific. My son has a Luxman L80-V amp, 4 JBL Lancer S99 speakers and a Kenwood KA 305 amp. He spent a total of 110 dollars for the whole works and they are all mint. I raised him right. He's 27 now, but he's been a vintage Hi-Fi nut for years.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.