Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts
I'm a huge vintage fan, with a special soft spot for Kenwood. In fact I'm currently listening to my Baby Kenny KA-3500 and Sony CDP-70. The Kenny has very clean sound and great specs:
Power output: 40 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.2%
Signal to noise ratio: 76dB (MM), 90dB (line)
The Sony CDP is an original, 16bit and is super clean. I'm constantly surprised at it's clarity and detail.
Now I do help the system out just a little with some Paradigm Monitor 7's. I love the stage they present, and their ability to carry classical, country, rap and rock as well....

That does bring back memories. Back in '77, I thought I had 'arrived' when I bought a Kenwood KA-7100 and a pair of Large Advents. I had my old Voice of Music receiver that I used as a tuner, an Ampex cassette deck (don't remember the model and I've searched the Internet in vain), a Teac A-4010 (one of the units that did 4-track recording) and a Perpetuum Ebner PE2020 turntable. I still have that reel-to-reel, but it's been boxed away for decades. That was my first real system and I loved it. Part of me would love to have it back.

I do still have a pair of Acoustic Research AR91 loudspeakers from '81, which aren't boxed away (although not currently in use). They are in great shape, since I've restored them - was even able to obtain a pair of brand new, but original tweeters (about 12 years ago).

BTW, welcome to the forum. It's cool that your first post was about the music to which you were listening.:T

I also have soft spot for Kenwood. After I ditched my Fisher receiver in the 70's I also moved up to the Kenwood KA-7100 along with KT-7300. Few years later I bought the Kenwood KA-907 along with the KT-917 tuner. I still regret selling the KT-917 2 years ago. It's still one of the favorite tuner mods.

Love that there is a Vintage Audio thread..

Here is my equipment..

Sansui
AU-111, AU-919, TU-717, SR-212, AU-555,

Marantz
32+33, 250M, 2330B

Yamaha
CR-1020, CR-2020, CA-1010

JBL 4312, Vandersteens 2Ci, ELAC 184

I had a college system with Micro Acoustics FRM-1A speakers, Nikko STA-9090 receiver, Shure V15 cartridge, a Technics turntable and can't remember the tape deck. They really rocked at the time. They were stolen twenty years ago, but I am finding equipment on ebay to bring back the old memories. I recently purchased a pair of Micro Acoustics FRM-1A speakers and plan to spruce them up and will post progress in the DYI thread. Also bought a STA 5055 Nikko to go with them. Kind of underpowered for the speakers.

This thread brings back memories. I also have a Kenwood KA7100 with matching receiver. Love that old setup with my first set of ESS Model 8 speakers. For many years I had the ESS paired with a Nakamichi receiver and a Pioneer turntable. One of my favorite amps has been for many years a Fisher X100 control amp with 7189a output tubes. Not a power house amp but very sweet with almost any book shelf speakes.

I had a Kenwood KD-500 with a signet arm and an Adcom Van Den Hul moving coil cartilage. I sold it and went to CD's.never really liked CD's. Using Flac files now which I love. My preamp does have a phono card. Don't think I can go back to records. Also liked my Shure V15.

Here is part of my Vintage set up.

Sansui 5500 Quad from 1973
4 home made speakers with crossovers built over 40 years ago. Still sound great
Sansui reverb. 60's
Technics direct drive turntable 70's
Pioneer 10'real to reel 60's
Kicker system to play my Zune into then through the stereo system.
and over 100 vinyl records in there original covers from the 60's-70's

My 2 channel system is all vintage gear. I have a Kenwood KD-550 turntable, A Mitsubishi DA-P20 pre-amp, a B+K ST-2140 power amp, a BSR mcd-8050 CD/cassette player and for speakers I just picked up a beautifull pair
of Sansui SP-5000s. Here are some pics.

Integra M504
Yamaha M80
Kenwood KA9100
Dahlquist DQM 909
Dahlquist DQM 905

M504, huge meters, beautiful rosewood side panels. Fine amplifier.

M80, a monster. Stable at 2 ohms. First 30 watts pure class A into 8 ohms. Sweet thug of an amp.

Kenwood Ka9100, great phono section, beautiful external heat sinks, silver face, little meters, sounds good.

DQM 905s, ridiculously excellent sounding speakers. Thanks Carl Marchisotto for these speakers.

DQM 909s, go deeper than the 905s, flagship of the DQM line.

Back in the day when i had a 2 channels setup...

I had:
Classe DR6 preamp,
Mitchell Gyrodec TT
Sumiko modded SME V or IV arm
Sumiko Blue Point Special Nude cartridge
Classe DR10 amps running in bridge mono
Martin Logan Sequels 2

Loved it very much, and I wish I still had it.

I've never owned anything mainstream vintage, until recently when my loving wife surprised me with a fully-restored classic Marantz 2226B receiver. Even the backlighting was brought up to spec! I hooked up this 26W beastie to my HeManRig for giggles (expecting to set it up for failure), but was shocked to find the little-engine-that-could wasn't totally embarrassed filling the void left by my 600W+ monoblocks. The 2226B left me shaking my head in (suspended - haha lol) disbelief. I guess it's true that for normal-to-subdued listening levels, it's really only the first watt that counts. If you can't get that right, nothing else matters! Anyway, I love the feel of Marant's much celebrated gyro tuner and polished reflective look of the front panel and knobs.

I've never owned anything mainstream vintage, until recently when my loving wife surprised me with a fully-restored classic Marantz 2226B receiver. Even the backlighting was brought up to spec! I hooked up this 26W beastie to my HeManRig for giggles (expecting to set it up for failure), but was shocked to find the little-engine-that-could wasn't totally embarrassed filling the void left by my 600W+ monoblocks. The 2226B left me shaking my head in (suspended - haha lol) disbelief. I guess it's true that for normal-to-subdued listening levels, it's really only the first watt that counts. If you can't get that right, nothing else matters! Anyway, I love the feel of Marant's much celebrated gyro tuner and polished reflective look of the front panel and knobs.
The old Marantz amps were beautiful pieces of equipment!

My Rega Planar 3 from 1985 (I'm the original owner) is still sounding fabulous with just a new belt and re-lubrication - does that count?
That's about the same time I purchased mine.
What arm and cartridge did you add?

101 - 118 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.