Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and Merry Christmas, I'm helping a friend set up his whole house speaker system. He just purchased the house and it had approx. 10 pairs of in ceiling speakers throughout the house with a pair in most every room. There are in-wall in room volume controls for each of the speaker pairs. The system is powered by a Denon Pre/Pro which is connected from it's Zone 2 speaker outputs to a Niles 10 Pair Speaker Selector SMS 10. I connected one pair of speakers to the Niles and there is sound from the pair. The odd thing though is that the volume control in that room controls the left/right balance not the volume. Is there a chance that either I have the wires connected incorrectly or that it is not a volume control but a balance control. I will be connecting pairs of speakers pairs in the other rooms today and see how they behave. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took the volume controller apart today and it appears there is a short inside the module. By wiggling the wires around, it would switch between working properly and not. I also connected several other pairs of speakers in other rooms and they all function properly. The volume controllers are all over 10 years old. I assume it is the problem.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts