Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lcaillo, I am having and issue with a Mitsubishi VS-55601 TV. It bows in pretty good on all sides, and all colors are affected. I cannot post links or pics, but I found a pic you can look at on ebay that looks my TV. I am not trying to sell you or anybody a TV, just would like to provide a pic for easier diag.. It is auction number 200326346181. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Bowing on all sides means the power to STK convergence chips is missing. Replace the two STK chips, blown fuses(or pico fuses) and open resistor if any.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have all the powers according to the schematic, pin3 ground, pin4 -VCC, pin9 +VCC. And all other voltages around the area seem to be correct. There is where my confusion is, maybe frustration and overlooking the obvious. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
91 Posts

are there six pico fuses for the STK output? If yes check them. Also check the low ohm resistors.

If nothing else is wrong, replacing the two STK chips should be all you need.

Read the first 10 posts of this thread carefully

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your posts were moved to the proper forum to improve forum organization and to make information easier for others to find.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

Bowing on all sides means the power to STK convergence chips is missing. Replace the two STK chips, blown fuses(or pico fuses) and open resistor if any.
This is not the only possibility. Likely, yes, but you could also have a failure in the convergence generator, its power supply, or corrupt data in the EEPROM. These sets have been known to loose all convergence data sometimes. If the settings are all at 127 this is what has happened. These sets can require a great deal more troubleshooting than others because they tended to NOT have a lot of problems with the output ICs. I have seen problems with supplies, capacitors, diodes and data, along with coolant leaks, but these have been pretty reliable in terms of the normal convergence failures you see on many other sets.

Botttom line is, if you don't have a service manual, the service bulletins, and the experience and equipment to troubleshoot the set, don't be surprised if the common symptom repair help is of little use on this one.

If the convergence data is at defaults (127), you will need to do an EEPROM reset in the option menu and start from scratch on the geometry and convergence.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem. I'm working on a friends Mitsubishi VS-55601. The image on eBay is what we see too. I opened the chassis and located the convergence board. He bought the ICs (STK391-020). I replaced them but the TV is still not fixed. Could there be a fuse blown somewhere? The screen is better but still not watchable. How do I get in to the service menus? Should replacing the ICs make the picture viewable and the menus will make it better? I can see the setup menu from the remote. You can set the convergence with the + sign in the middle and corners but they don't seem to move or make a difference. I've been trying to find a service manual. Thanks for any help.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
These sets can be a little more complex to troubleshoot and repair. You may have to test related components in the convergence circuit. If you plan to proceed, you will need a schematic and expect to do some troubleshooting. This is not likely to be an easy symptom/repair fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do I get in to the service menus? Is this the only solution? Take it to a professional? If it costs $300-$500, he won't do it.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There is a sticky in the DIY Repair forum that has some links to sites where you can find some service manuals. You can get it from Mitsubishi, but it will likely cost about $40. You might find it in the links mentioned above for free or for a fee that is usually much less than that.

There is no substitute for troubleshooting. If you don't have the skills to sort it out, that is what professionals are for. I can pass along simple sympom/repair relationships, but not all problems fit into that category. There are lots of possibilities for what could be wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there. I was hoping to contact lcaillo for help on the VS-55601 also ?
I have a smaller convergence problem with mine, and when I try to adjust it, I can only get the + in the middle to match white perfectly. The left side of the picture is bowed slightly, but the center and most of the right side is viewable. Do I need the IC's also ?
I'm new here and not sure I'm doing this correctly.
Thanks for the help !

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What are you doing to try to adjust it? Are you using the consumer or service menu? Do you have the service manual?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am using the manual that came with the TV for adjusting the convergence.. The picture had been fine, then when coming back from another room, I found that the picture was sort of ghosted/blurry on the left, and some images were red/green on the left also. When trying to adjust the 5 crosses to white, only the center one was perfect. The other 4 were kind of bent, and wouldn't line up.

Thank you !

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You may need to try adjusting at the service level. If you cannot fix it there, you might have a problem in the convergence outputs, maybe in the convergence generator or EEPROM. Read the first 10 posts of the convergence repair sticky very carefully to get an idea of how the system works, in general.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for your swift reply. I will try to find and read what you reccomended. I was hoping for an easy (comparitively) fix. I repair and build computers, but I'm lost in the TV field. Bought this TV from my son a couple of years ago. I am disabled and in a wheelchair, so if I can't fix it on my limited income myself, it will have to go, and I'll go back to my old small tv. I will try hard though !

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You could try changing the output ICs and any damaged resistors, but you may be wasting your time if you don't understand how to align the set anyway. It may be a very routine repair or it may not. You need to be able to do convergence adjustments either way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts