Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
In my opinion there will be very little to no difference at all in the actual sound between the two units.

If the new model has something you want as a new feature go for it, if you are looking to improve the sound quality look at your speakers or perhaps adding sound treatments to your room.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I currently own a the lx70 and thinking of upgrading to the latest lx87 . Is there really a big sound improvement to my old beast or has it just more bells and whistles then my 4 year amp.?
The LX70 is a good AVR (European Model) I have one now in my second system (was my primary unit). I agree with the ealier post I doubt you will hear any difference although there will be more bells and whistles and the ability to pass 3D. I have not actually looked specifically at the spec for the LX87 but generally the upper range Pioneer AVR's perform well. The LX70 is a solid well made beast providing excellent movie and stereo sound. The newer models always seem to be a bit lightweight in the PSU department to me which makes me wonder how these newer units fair with a really dynamic full seven channel sound track sucking on the power supply unit.

If I had to criticize the LX70 the only thing would be the surround effects always seemed a little to discreet to me in the main listening area (but OK in the den :scratch: but it is a smaller room) despite careful calibration and checks with an SPL meter. I previously had an LX50 as well and felt the same about that.
The recent aquisition of a Denon 4520 confirms that impression with more clearly defined output from the surround speakers and generally I feel a more enjoyable experience.

If you are in the market I would shop around and do some auditioning and compare the Pioneer to other brands in a similar price range.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did buy the SCLX87 and iam very pleased with it. I do think it sounds a lot better with my B&W. A lot cleare to my mind
I second the welcome to the forum. Really pleased to hear you are really happy with the SCLX87, Pio do make really good AVR's in what they describe as their high end. I was always satisfied with the LX50 but the small number of HDMI Ports, lack of internet radio and impossible to update the firmware (except the DSP) as adaptors are not available were my reasons for upgrading to the LX70 a few years back, as I said still impressed with its performance even today it was of course top of the Pio range at the time. Enjoy the SCLX87 a nice machine I did consider it before the Denon but the Denon is full 4ohm speaker capable which is one of the things I really needed..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.