Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I may have used a bit of psychology, but it seems to have worked out. I did my research, narrowed down my list and basically knew what I wanted. This was my call, with the caveat that ours too could not look like a "spaceship."

I took her to the local electronics shop and showed her the biggest Kefs they had in the showroom floor - Q900's. They weren't "too too big" and she was sort of accepting of it, although the $2,000/pr pricing had her concerned, given I had planned and talked to her about a 7.2 setup.

Then I took her to a high-end shop and showed her the Martin Logan EM-ESL speakers. Needless to say, these were much more "space ship" and even higher priced. She didn't say a lot, but I could tell she was worried.

Next stop - new dishwasher. She had been complaining about ours for months - wasn't getting things clean as much as "wet." Got the fancy-schmancy one - stainless steel, 103 jets, super quiet, all that...

Then I bought the RSL Speakers 9.2 rig (they're 7.1 system plus their 2.1 "Studio Monitor System" giving me double-driven LCRs and single-driver surrounds all around. Basically came to $4000 for the speakers. $1100 for the receiver. Another $300 for wires, cables and mounts. Much less than the Martin Logan rig would have been, even with the dishwasher's cost.

7.1 Surround system: http://rslspeakers.com/store/rsl-7-1-theater-system-36.html

2.1 Studio Monitors: http://rslspeakers.com/store/stereo-systems-and-subwoofers/rsl-studio-monitor-system.html

She was so relieved she actually installed them for me (all wall mounted) - I took that as a good sign.

Anyway - we are both happy and "Family Movie Night" is one of our favourite pastimes! I'll take that For The Win!

I felt pretty good at the end of it. Got a great setup, powered by the TX-NR929. Next purchase will be a new Blu-ray player (don't have the Oppo yet, but the BDP-103D is next!) Sent from my iPhone using HTShack

Dishwasher? I would call that a bribe! lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Many years ago I remember the one and only time my X wife really amazed me when it came to acceptance of the theater bug. Anytime we were out at a store or mall, she'd be shopping for clothes and what not, of course I'd wander off, tell her she could find me in the TV/audio department. Year after year my mouth would water at the sight of these big screen RPTV's. She'd get done shopping and find me there just looking at them. I'd go home empty handed,, time and time again.... So one day at Sears the newly released first ever high definition RPTV's came out. She comes up to me and says, "pick one out, any one". Of course I thought this was a joke! I asked her if she was serious, she said Yes, you've always wanted one so get it already (with a smile on her face). I picked up a Mitsubishi 55" widescreen $3000. I recall when it was delivered and setting it up in my living room, I thought WOW! this is living..... Of course a week later I also thought, I shoulda went with the 65" LOL.....

Rule of thumb, you never know when the wife will surprise you so always be a good boy!
2 - Always go one size bigger when buying a TV because when you get it home, within a week, you'll want bigger.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Congrats! Have you brought them home and hooked them up yet?
Yep. Been running the rig for about a year now. Very very happy. - both of us! I would recommend the RSLs to anyone. Extremely happy , especially for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I are currently building a new home for our retirement. I plan on retiring in just under four years. During the planning of the home my wife wanted two things a sunroom and a pantry. My wish list was a finished basement with home theater room. As we started to review cost it became clear that something would have to wait. My theater room took the hit. We are putting in a basement so eventually I will get the theater room. Knowing I was disappointed my wife one night at dinner said out of the blue that I could get any TV I wanted. We finished dinner and we immediately went to Best Buy and bought one of the last Panasonic 65VT60 which is in our family room waiting for the new house to be finished. :D

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Congratulations. That's exciting stuff.

Retirement? Every night is a Friday night and every morning is a Saturday morning.

It's terrible, don't do it.

...:p
You got that right. :T

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
As for WAF, I have a keeper. I built a home theater with two 12" ported subs and two 15" ported subs. After watching a few movies I asked her what she though. She said "Great. But we need bigger subs." Out went the ported 12's and in came a pair of ported 18's. I love my wife! :T

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
As for WAF, I have a keeper. I built a home theater with two 12" ported subs and two 15" ported subs. After watching a few movies I asked her what she though. She said "Great. But we need bigger subs." Out went the ported 12's and in came a pair of ported 18's. I love my wife! :T
I don't think my wife will be saying that to me... But I still love her, as she puts up with a lot from me! :T

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Find a way to semi-retire. I work three days a week (regular eight hour days). With one more day away from work each week than at work, it's not a very taxing schedule. There's plenty of time away from work to either be unproductive or to be productive at something I want to do. I've noticed something about working less; I spend more (and that won't work indefinitely:laugh:).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Does she have a sister???!!!! lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Last night after Godzilla, my girlfriend and I were sitting on the couch and I was throwing around the idea of changing out my side surround speakers. Well her first comment was "the next thing you buy for this room had better be theater seating". LOL.. I guess I've been told!

·
Registered
84 Posts
During the 15 years or so that we've had a "Home Theater" never once has my wife complained. She has come home to new speakers (twice), a front screen, a projector, a second projector, a third projector, a new receiver, another new receiver, a third new receiver, a subwoofer, a new subwoofer amplifier, a BFD. How does one ever begin to appreciate the inner calm that must permeate her being. As do all couples we occasionally do not see eye to eye. But I cherish her acceptance of my hobby. Pretty sure she enjoys it too.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts