Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WAF friendly dual TRIO12 sub build!

EDIT: Sub choice changed to CSS TRIO12, post #23

Hi all, so i'm going to try a new project utilizing the IXL 18.2.2 sub. The room I have to work with is beside the couch to the left against a wall. It is now occupied with an AV123 MFW 15 and I wanted more low end. So i'll be replacing it with DIY most likely. The space is 18" wide by 26" high by 36" deep....I think that would work out to 8cf not including the ports,driver,braces. would that be enough space for the sub to operate ok? Most likely face the sub toward the couch on the 36" side. What would I do with ports? (PVC)? I'm looking for a bit lower tuned response than the existing MFW15 Thanks...oh yes, I have a CSS 500watt bash amp that I'd likely use and upgrade later to a Dayton 1000watt SA1000 probably by mid spring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike P. said:
That has a default subsonic filter at 30 hz, has it been modified to a lower frequency?
I haven't modified it, don't know if CSS has done it from the factory

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not possible due to the size of the driver being over 18" (the mount) and the space required around it. The best you can do is probably 20" wide in that scenario. The dimensions sound awfully close to my "easy button" build. If you cut it down a bit size wise, you should be fine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not possible due to the size of the driver being over 18" (the mount) and the space required around it. The best you can do is probably 20" wide in that scenario. The dimensions sound awfully close to my "easy button" build. If you cut it down a bit size wise, you should be fine.
also very similar to my 18.2 build...outside dimensions are 19x24x36...and i have calculated that to be 6.75 cuft (subtracting the port).

I am downfiring mine...once it arrives...so i will add 4" legs to raise the overall height to 29".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SinCron said:
What if I were to mount it on the 36" side, I'll be using PVC ports if that works

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike P. said:
CSS would only modify the HPF is you requested it. Are you able to modify it yourself? It involves soldering in 2 different resistors.
I could probably do something if I had the patience or I could bring it to my electrician on a weekend:p

·
Registered
298 Posts
It would be doable in a 18.5" wide cabinet since the driver is a hair over 18" wide. I contacted SirCron to find out the cutout diameter.
Parameters

Power handling: 1000 watts RMS
Sensitivity: 89db (2.83 volts) - coils wired in series (4 Ohm nominal impedance)
Impedance: 2 + 2 Ohm (DVC)

Dimensions

Outside Diameter: 46.2cm (18 3/16")
Mounting diameter: 42.4cm (16 11/16")
Depth: 24.8cm (9 3/4")

T/S Parameters

Fs: 17.7 hz
Re: 3.4 ohms
Qes: 0.39
Qms: 5.59
Qts: 0.37
Mms: 434.3 grams
Rms: 8.69 kg/s
Cms: 0.184 mm/N
Vas: 274.1 litres
Sd: 1029.2cm2
Xmax: 22mm (one way linear). Xmech is limited only to the depth of the spider landing of the basket which exceeds 30mm
Cone Diameter: 36.2cm

Recommended Box Sizes

Sealed: 130 litres (4.6 cu.ft.)
Ported: 200 litres (7 cu.ft.) 19hz tuning
EBS: 365 litres (12.88 cu.ft.) 15hz tuning

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike P. said:
It would be doable in a 18.5" wide cabinet since the driver is a hair over 18" wide. I contacted SirCron to find out the cutout diameter.
Great, would that mean a taller/deeper cabinet? Port wise would I be saving any space by going with PVC vs slot? Also what's the easiest bracing method as I am very limited when it comes to tools and woodworking skills

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
A slot port would be easiest. It would be 2" high and the full internal width (17") and run 32.5" along the bottom of the cabinet. There would be a 2" space between the end of the port and the back wall. This would give you a 18 hz tuning.

Green is with the Bash 500 with a HPF modified to 13.9 hz from the 1 db boost table in the amps documentation.

Yellow would be with the Dayton SA1000 amp.

Here are the drivers cutout and overall width dimensions.

http://www.affordabledrivers.com.au/images/large/ixleighteen_03_LRG.jpg

ixl.JPG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like this build is dead for now, the ixl is not in stock for another month and the new one shortly after that. Any other subs that would make work with this size box to achieve the same result ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts