Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I currently have a Neutral grey paint on my wall but i need to redo it for cheap, could anyone help me suggest a paint mixture for the Benq MX720 (3500 lumens) used for movies (dark room)?

More info: 130 inch 16:9 projection from about 12 feet from the wall

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hey I currently have a Neutral grey paint on my wall but i need to redo it for cheap, could anyone help me suggest a paint mixture for the Benq MX720 (3500 lumens) used for movies (dark room)?

More info: 130 inch 16:9 projection from about 12 feet from the wall
Welcome to HTS! :wave:

What shade of gray is your current screen? Why do you want to redo it?

The cheapest paint would be another neutral gray in Glidden Premium interior paint in a flat finish from Home Depot that is currently $8.97 a quart or $19.97 a gallon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in normal light the it looks pretty grey lol
i want to redo it because i hadn't sanded the wall well enough last time

i went to home depot today and couldnt find that paint as it was previously suggested to me, any ideas? i only found the glidden vantage flat white paint

btw im in Canada!

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
in normal light the it looks pretty grey lol
i want to redo it because i hadn't sanded the wall well enough last time

i went to home depot today and couldnt find that paint as it was previously suggested to me, any ideas? i only found the glidden vantage flat white paint

btw im in Canada!
I wasn't aware that Glidden Premium wasn't available in Canada, but it seems it isn't. The Glidden Vantage would work, and is the least expensive paint at Home Depot, but as far as I can tell it only comes in gallons (3.78L). However, when painting a 130" 16:9 screen having a gallon of paint on hand gives you some breathing room, and the paint is only $19.97 a gallon. Go with the flat finish.

The colors below can be had by using the "Glidden Master Palette" in the paint database in the stores tinting computer. The number following the 00NN is the percent of light reflected by that shade of gray. The "Munsell N" value is in brackets after the color name; the lower the N value the darker the gray is. With your projector you could use a pretty dark gray, but ultimately this is very subjective. These colors should be available in the CIL brand of paints as well.

Tint Code ... "Color Name" [Munsell Value]

00NN 05/000 . . . "Dark Secret" (black) [N2.3]
00NN 07/000 . . . "Deep Onyx" (black) [N3.2]
00NN 13/000 . . . "Obsidian Glass" [N4.3]
00NN 16/000 . . . "Grey Tabby" [N4.7]
00NN 20/000 . . . "Grimmy's Grey" [N5.2]
00NN 25/000 . . . "Seal Grey" [N5.7]
00NN 31/000 . . . "Icon Grey" [N6.25]
00NN 37/000 . . . "Granite Gray" [N6.7]
00NN 45/000 . . . "Dover Grey" [N7.3]
00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8]
00NN 62/000 . . . "Universal Gray" [N8.3]