Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little tip for those who might have previously been tempted. Tomorrow; Friday November 2, Walmart will sell the Toshiba HD-A2 for the astounding price of $98.87. Add to that the new 1080p/24 firmware upgrade (which you must either download and install or order from Toshiba) and this purchase is a no brainer as you still get (apparently) 5 free HD-DVDs. They do state that quantities are limited and they are NOT available in all stores. If you doubt this, here's the link: http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret&utm_source=wmall&utm_medium=all&utm_campaign=holidaygif I know I'm going to get myself one if I can.:bigsmile:
Cheers to all,
Konky.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
If they run out and you still want a deal... we got them for $150 in the Shack Store.

100 bucks at Wal-Mart is sweet! That is really going to get HD-DVD cranking with the mass-market if they will stock them heavy enough.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... Add to that the new 1080p/24 firmware upgrade (which you must either download and install or order from Toshiba) ...
I wasn't sure to try to get this DVD player ... the specifications said that upconverts to 1080i (my Sony does too, and my TV to 1080p) but after reading about this firmware upgrade to 1080p, and the price, free movies, etc... I'm tempted to try to get one tomorrow :praying::praying:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Walmart will sell the Toshiba HD-A2 for the astounding price of $98.87. Add to that the new 1080p/24 firmware upgrade (which you must either download and install or order from Toshiba)
Sorry, the 1080p/24 firmware upgrade capability is only for the A20 and XA2. The A30 and A35 also now do 1080p/24. The A2 and A3 can only go up to 1080i60 for video output. Also the XA2 still needs a fix to get the rate to the proper 23.976 (24/1.001) rate.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
not the right place for it but still...

if you really want to make your PJ's sing there's nothing like feeding them a good high def source and with that in mind there's no better time to jump into the high definition DVD game by snagging a toshiba hd-a2 for 98 bucks from wally world after 8am tomorrow!

just a great deal even if i am a blu ray guy :D

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Re: not the right place for it but still...

if you really want to make your PJ's sing there's nothing like feeding them a good high def source and with that in mind there's no better time to jump into the high definition DVD game by snagging a toshiba hd-a2 for 98 bucks from wally world after 8am tomorrow!

just a great deal even if i am a blu ray guy :D
Really?!?!?!? I may have to do that! $98 is cheap like me! :bigsmile:

mech

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ad says 10 minimum per store. Regarding the firmware update, Toshiba's site plainly lists the HD-A2 as one of the many (if not all) models being able to use it. I know one thing; for that price I am more than willing to try it.
I'll let everyone know how it goes...
Cheers,
Konky.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Are you sure? The official website says firmware 2.5 is available.
Sure, f/w 2.5 is the latest for the HD-A2. But it does not add to video output modes for that model (ie - no 1080p24).

The 2.5 f/w is supposed to allow a manual choice of PC or RGB video level when using a HDMI to DVI cable. Reports are mixed if this really works.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had to stand in line at the front entry just to find out that they had a second entrance or a back entry that 10 buddies came through and bought them before we could make it to the back side of the store. Grrr.

Oh well, at least it wasn't out of my way. Wow, 129.00. Why did I waste my time going to Wall Zoo.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts