Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have Audyssey's dynamic equalization in my prepro and would like to set up a custom setting in my Velodyne SMS-1 to adjust subwoofer levels for lower SPLs.

My problem thus far is that I can't find anything that says how much you adjust which frequencies as the SPL decreases.

Does anyone know this or have a link?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,604 Posts
Re: Want to build a house curve that reflects the decrease in hearing sensitivity at lower volumes..

I think what you're looking for are the Fletcher-Munson curves:
Text Line Font Slope Pattern

· Super Moderator
9,367 Posts
Re: Want to build a house curve that reflects the decrease in hearing sensitivity at lower volumes..

The Fletcher-Munson curve dates back to 1933. According to Wikipedia, “A new experimental determination was made by Robinson and Dadson in 1956 which was believed to be more accurate, and this became the basis for a standard (ISO 226) which was considered definitive until 2003, when the standard was revised on the basis of recent assessments by research groups worldwide.”

In 2003 researchers in Japan, Germany, Denmark, UK and USA produced a study which resulted in the current standard, known as ISO 226:2003. Here is the current standard for equal loudness curves.

Regards,
Wayne

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks Wayne.

Just thinking out loud, what I think that I would need to do is to get the difference in the slopes for my two listening levels and use that as my house curve for the subwoofer range.

· Registered
2,604 Posts

Saving that for my archives. Thanks Wayne!

· Registered
50 Posts

and trying to accomidate for those peaks in the high mids and drops in the lows will give you an unnatural sound because of course, in nature. we hear things naturally with these perceived peaks and dips ;)

L

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

L

That's not the object of this exercise. Note that those peaks and dips remain constant across the spl axis.

What I'm after is how the low frequencies shift that occurs with a change in SPL.

· Super Moderator
9,367 Posts

Thanks Wayne.

Just thinking out loud, what I think that I would need to do is to get the difference in the slopes for my two listening levels and use that as my house curve for the subwoofer range.
If that doesn’t prove satisfactory, you could try a variation of the 30 Hz – 100 Hz volume differential test outlined in my house curve article, at the low volume level you’re interested in. After that, re-adjust the subwoofer level to the mains.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.