Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am wanting to add a subwoofer to my current soundbar setup but am running into a problem. Would anyone be willing to recommend me the hardware components I would need for this? Details of my problem:

I currently have the Samsung Q950T soundbar and have my PC and PS5 running into the HDMI 1 and 2 spots, then the E-ARC to the TV. I bought the Klipsch R-12SW with the thought that it'd be easy to add...but so far it's not. I have an HDMI switch where the PC and PS5 are plugged into. The switch then gets plugged into an HDMI splitter where one goes to the HDMI-2 on the soundbar and the other goes to an HDMI audio extractor. From there, the RCA cables go into the back of the Klipsch. But no sound from the subwoofer. Also, I get video on screen (which I didn't get with my more simple "cable only" HDMI splitter) but now my TV doesn't flip in and out between HDR properly. Right now I'm on the PC and everything looks really washed out when it didn't before. Plus, it flashes between HDR randomly while it's on.

The switch and splitter are rocketfish brand that I got from best buy. The audio extractor is probably some no name brand from Amazon.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: also, would it be better to get an HDMI switch or 2 audio extractors? From what I've read, a switch will only support up to 60 hz. Is that the same for extractors? I could do 2 of those and then use splitters to go down to 1 set of RCA cables for the subwoofer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Generally soundbars are only designed to have a subwoofer that is specifically designed for it. As in you can't add any random third party brand subwoofer for it.

The subwoofer you have would connect to pre outs on a av receiver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally soundbars are only designed to have a subwoofer that is specifically designed for it. As in you can't add any random third party brand subwoofer for it.

The subwoofer you have would connect to pre outs on a av receiver.
****, I was hoping the pre-outs from the HDMI extractor would suffice. The sound bar was nice at first but now I'm wanting more. Maybe going the route of an actual surround sound with receiver would be the way to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use a av receiver myself and its fantastic! I always recommend these over soundbars as they have serious limitations.

its by far the way to go! people may think you might get similar sound with soundbars. they are totally wrong on that!

enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I use a av receiver myself and its fantastic! I always recommend these over soundbars as they have serious limitations.

its by far the way to go! people may think you might get similar sound with soundbars. they are totally wrong on that!

enjoy!
Do you have any recommendations on a receiver? It's looking like I will need 2.1 capability for the PC and PS5 and I've read that there was a bug up until recently. But if so, I can use the eARC on my TV to bypass, correct? I have about $1000 budget for the receiver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok so after a lot lot lot of research, I think I've settled on either the Denon AVR-2700H or the AVR-3700H, to pair with these Klipsch speakers:

My question is...is there a big difference between the 2700 and 3700 to warrant the cost difference? I couldn't see a whole lot in my research. Or is there a better alternative? I see all these various sound compatibilities but it will be here for my PC/PS5. Occasional bluetooth connection for music.

Also, I've been trying to read up on HDMI 2.1 but from the looks of it, I shouldn't be too worried about it as I can plug both devices into the TV and use the eARC to go to the receiver and not worry about any loss in audio/video. Does that sound about right?

Sorry for all the newbish questions, this is technically my first venture into receivers.

EDIT: I may be able to get a used AVR-X4700H for $1300...

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's definitely a decent cost difference between the 7 and 9 channel receivers. And the biggest difference are having more speakers.
I've seen feedback that having 4 atmos speakers is worth it and I haven't experienced it myself yet.
You get both side to side and front to back overhead effects.
If you don't already know denon is about to announce new models like the x3800h which appears to have multiple hdmi 2.1 ports.

Yes you can connect your devices directly to the tv and EARC the audio out to the receiver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with a renewed 2700 on Amazon rather than the one from marketplace. Spending that much on used electronics that you don't know what they went through is always iffy to me. Everything should be here in a few days. Plus the room is small, so what I ordered should more than suffice. Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts