Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a decent Dell desktop and upraded the graphics card to an ATI HD5670 but I would like to upgrade the hard drive to something faster. Can I Clone the drive (make an exact copy) without having to reinstall everything?

·
Banned
199 Posts
Short answer is yes. See if the drive manufacturer has a cloning utility. There are products like Achronis True Image also.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is venturing into uncharted territory for me. Is it as simple as putting the new drive into the same computer and cloning or is this more complicated?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, I will have a look :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What operating system are you using Tony?
Some have backup/restore built in without the need for third party software.

Cheers,
Bill.
Hi Bill, I have Win7 Home Premium.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
If you have another drive available you can do a backup, install win 7 on the new drive and then do a restore.
(I use an external usb hdd to backup mine - and I tested a backup/restore to verify it works)

backup.JPG

If you choose to try disc cloning software double check which drive you are cloning to which as it's embarrasing to clone a nice blank disc over all your data. Also check that it is win 7 compatible.

Cheers,
Bill.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I bought the drive its a Seagate - 500GB Barracuda 7200.12 SATA III w/ 16MB Cache, Dont know if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Um, what's your current drive? What makes you think that drive will be any faster?

If you want to upgrade your system drive, you should go SSD or something :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The current drive is only an 80gb SATA II 5400rpm I got the 500gb drive for free with a Windows7 DVD all for $99 If the 500gb is not really going to improve my speed I will look at other options.
The reason i want a drive that has faster access time is I frequently play a 3D railroad simulator called Trainz simulater 2012 that loads a lot of 3D items off the hard drive as your driving the routes.
Game info here

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
270 Posts
Now even though you have Win7 x64 you wont ever need more than 4gigs ram for HTPC tasks so don't waste money on 4 or more gigs ram. I would pick a 2ghz or faster multi core AMD (for cost) CPU I use a tri`core 2.8ghz. your also looking for a good quality 80plus rated Power supply this will be on alot if you DVR shows.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My PC is already a dual core 2.4Ghz AMD 64bit but its about 2 years old now. And I have 4 gig of ram installed.

Update: I went to the Segate site and they have the utility to backup or clone a drive, its made by Acronis and it worked great!
Thanks for everyone's help :)

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Short answer is yes. See if the drive manufacturer has a cloning utility. There are products like Achronis True Image also.
Acronis is great! Not only for transferring to another larger drive but incase of virus or other issues. Anytime I build a computer a load all software programs etc. then I make a full system image onto DVD's with Acronis.
Makes it easy to reinstall everything if need be, or load onto a new harddrive.

Have repaired pc's infected with viruses many times doing this (family members). First I would scan and remove virusus, recover any documents photos etc. Then do a fresh install with the Acronis Image and reload there documents and photos. Rather just stop by the pc and insert another disc every so often than sit there clicking prompts for days while re-installing OS, Software, etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts