Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I contracted to have Funky Waves to build a custom box for me for an 18" LMS driver based on the 18.0 design. I didn't need an on board amp as I already have a 4000w Crest 8002, and I already have an LMS driver and SMS-1 for EQ. Box Size - Net internal volume after bracing and driver displacement (lms5400) is right on 98L (3.46cuf). Nathan suggested 3/4" roundover all the way around the top and bottom, which was an added cost and I went for it....

* Box Size - roughly 22" wide 22.5" high 22" deep.

* Multi layered low resonance walls.

* 1.5" thick top, bottom, and front panels

* Magnet's under veneer for grill if I choose to make one.

* Wood Veneer and hardwood 3/4 round over edges is Padauk.

* Padauk is not stained - just clear coat finish to achieve this color.

* Top Veneer was changed to run front to back when asked by Nathan.

Here are some pics of the build along the way that I felt needed to be shared for anyone considering a more custom solution with the best in quality and performance that can't or doesn't have the time for DIY.... I chose to combine a quality build from someone who can do the job better then I, and partial DIY, something I'm not a stranger to from all my experimentation with different drivers of my own builds over the last few years...

Enjoy...

Nathan @ Funky Waves - Thank you for doing such an amazing job and the great support all the way through the very fast build - it was great to work with you. Communication throughout the entire build was constant and quick with questions about how I would like things done along the way based off the different wood sample choices I received in the mail as well as the many other custom choices... I look forward to receiving it....

I highly recommend Funky Waves to anyone considering a custom product such as this....... They deserve the recognition.

Forum Members should read through my AVS build thread for questions that you may have that have already been answered - HERE

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Nice cabinet, they really do some nice work at Funky Waves:T. By the way i noticed that PE finally has the TC Sounds drivers back in stock:whistling: that is great news.:T

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have been itching to make a curved sided sub enclosure but have been scratching my head as to how I would cut everything smooth and uniform. How if you don't mind me askin did you go about making everything ad uniform
As you did.? By the way I stare in aww at this enclosure!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Beautifull work.......:T

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been itching to make a curved sided sub enclosure but have been scratching my head as to how I would cut everything smooth and uniform. How if you don't mind me askin did you go about making everything ad uniform
As you did.? By the way I stare in aww at this enclosure!
No question this is the most beautiful enclosure I have ever seen, and there is no way I could come close to the finish work that Funky Waves produces, I was happy to pay to have this look... And as many subs I have ever had - Nothing and I mean Nothing compares to the SQ, accuracy and output for an 18" LMS. Even with a Bridged EP2500 its output extremely impressive... I can highly recommend the combo...

I do have and was planning on using a 4000w amp for this driver, but it entirely not necessary for my smallish room...

·
Registered
344 Posts
No question this is the most beautiful enclosure I have ever seen, and there is no way I could come close to the finish work that Funky Waves produces, I was happy to pay to have this look... And as many subs I have ever had - Nothing and I mean Nothing compares to the SQ, accuracy and output for an 18" LMS. Even with a Bridged EP2500 its output extremely impressive... I can highly recommend the combo...

I do have and was planning on using a 4000w amp for this driver, but it entirely not necessary for my smallish room...
It is very beautifull !!,....If I were to build same, but in (15" VERSION ), could you recommend Combo, (driver, Amp) and INT Vol for Enclosure ???

Thanks Great Looking Sub !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts