Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I finally got around to trying to fix my Optoma screen. The bottom right corner is warped a bit and the frame is about 2" closer to the seats than the rest.

I pulled the screen down and retensioned, thinking that might be it, but they actually weren't in too much tension, so this is probably a frame issue. It only has two hanging points up top, so there's no easy way to attach that corner to the wall. Right now I have it forced against the wall with a level (wedged to the floor) to hopefully bend it back.

It's been like this for a while and once I noticed the geometry distortion I couldn't un-see it.

Weird. Any ideas?

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is pretty standard for a pull down screen. IMHO, its going to be very difficult to get the warp out, and even if you do get it out, it will only come back again as the screen stretches further.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh, sorry. Based on your description, I thought it was a pull down (I have an Optoma GWII and it is a pull down).

Does the warp run the entire length of the bottom and right side? (i.e. it gets gradually further away from the bottom left corner to the right and from the top right corner to the bottom?

If so, what has likely happened is the frame has twisted from corner to corner, and because its hung from the top, the bottom corner is the one sticking out. Its a two person job, but if you take the frame down and have one person hold top and bottom on the left and another hold top and bottom on the right, you can gently twist it back into shapeby pulling the top right forward as you push the bottom left back. Does that make sense?

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Extruded aluminum, I think. The corners were a polymer block that you just jammed in there. The only screws were to fasten on the hanging mounts and the tensioners.

Since I got this one, I installed an Elite EZscreen for a customer and like those so much better. Literally a 5 minute build (and solid)

I'll try twisting it back into place. It's just frustrating as the combination of lens shift distortion and the frame geometry being out of whack makes the picture look out of parallel at that end (fine on the other end). Not an issue for 16:9 content, but letterboxed 2.35:1 stuff makes it more noticeable.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts