Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,
I'm back to the dark side and would love to know what your top grey DIY's are currently?
Last time round I had TV Winter Mist with a Marantz VP4001.
Now I'm trying a Planar pd7060.

Although I haven't bought it yet, so if you have other recc.'s for ~$1K that can match or beat it pleae let me know.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
What size screen do you have or what is the size you are planning on making?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It looks like you'll have plenty of lumens to spare so the original Black Widow in the N7.5 shade should be a perfect match.

Question... Just out of curiosity, why the Planar PD7060? Did you get a killer deal on it?

I see it has the DarkChip technology which is great!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darkchip 3, black levels, good contrast and reviews.
Also, got it for $860 shipped 'new' with warranty of 1K hours on lamp and PJ from factory.
I was considering the Marantz 8600, 12s4, and Sharp DT-510.
But the first and second were refurbs:)() and the 'new' Sharp was ~50% more.

What are your thoughts on the 7060?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Darkchip 3, black levels, good contrast and reviews.
Also, got it for $860 shipped 'new' with warranty of 1K hours on lamp and PJ from factory.
I was considering the Marantz 8600, 12s4, and Sharp DT-510.
But the first and second were refurbs:)() and the 'new' Sharp was ~50% more.

What are your thoughts on the 7060?
You definitely can't beat the price. I saw the MSRP at first and at $2999 I was going to say that's way too much. You can get a 1080p projector from under $2grand now.

I was leaning more toward the AX200 or the Epson HD or HC720, but the 7060 looks like a really good projector. For $860 it's a killer deal!

The other two I mentioned are much brighter though and extremely versital to setup, but you did good!

I can't find any formal write up on the 7060 though. Can you contact Planar and ask them if the 1000 Lumen rating is max lumens or is that video optimized? That makes a huge difference. My guess is that it's already rate for video optimized.

A Planar projector and a Black Widow screen :) I bet they'd rather you have an Xscreen instead!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It uses D7 panels and accepts 1080p/24Hz correctly as well.
I dislike LCD's.

Thanks for the compliment!

**592 lumens in "best mode" (eco mode and 6500k setting 592lumens, the one I will use to calibrate is the 7500k setting on eco mode which is ~600 lumens)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I tend to like LCD myself... both have their pros and cons though.

Keep something in mind, BW is D65 neutral so if you have a setting that is D75 the calibration may be off a little. Why not go with the D65 setting at 592Lumens? That's only 8 Lumens less. A tweak of the brightness and you should be able to get those 8 back easily.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, I meant only that I prefer DLP.
To each their own and the many choices we have is great!

In the D65K, it is actually ~6200k, the D75K is actually ~6650K.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
That's odd, D65 is 400 away from 6502 and D75 setting is only around 150 off! Definitely go with the closer one then. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts