Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was hoping my first post wouldn't be asking about a problem.

I've had my omnimic usb mic for just under a year, and have been using REW for about 10 months with no issues. However, within the last week, it seems to have stopped working properly. Since I can't post pictures yet, I'll just try to describe it since I'm in a hurry (I'll use the post pad thread later tonight if I get time).

Basically, starting at about 1200 hz, there begins a serious of sharp, nulls all of them 25db+ deep, spaced about 850hz apart, that continue all the way to the upper limits of the measurements. The nulls are only present in REW, with the omnimic software they don't exist. I have not changed any settings since I first started using REW, and they appear to be the same, unless I'm missing something.

I attempted to try another computer, but both my laptop and desktop have the same issues. I should also clarify that this happened both before and after the latest update, which I didn't download until I noticed the issue, I had been ignoring the update at the time. I noticed it while trying to measure some tweeters, however I've since measured two different models of tweeter, and my bookshelf speakers, and they all have the same issue. I also tried switching amps, and it made no difference. I'm fairly confident that it is a problem in the program itself, either in the settings or a bug.

If anyone has anything I can try, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a screenshot of what I'm experiencing. It does this no matter what I measure, and gating doesn't change it. In fact, I have to smooth it to 1/1 before the nulls disappear. At 1/2 smoothing, they are still there. This is smoothed 1/24.

The picture didn't show up, give it an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts

Here's your photo .

Recently, in a thread where the problem was ( newly ) inexplicable wavy lines ( like yours ) the solution turned out to be, a system ( Win7 ) re-install .

:sn:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, ive been using two sweeps, ill try using one later today.

Earl, by system reinstall, do you mean windows, or rew reinstall? I believe it is win7 on both computers. Rew has been on the laptop for a year, it was just downloaded to the desktop this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
John, ive been using two sweeps, ill try using one later today.

Earl, by system reinstall, do you mean windows, or rew reinstall? I believe it is win7 on both computers. Rew has been on the laptop for a year, it was just downloaded to the desktop this weekend.
Here's the thread that I referenced .

Yes, a full (re)-install of Win7 is/was a bit drastic , but for this user it worked nicely ( ie; doing so, reset things back to normal on his computer which is being used as an HTPC ) .

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Additionally ( to everything previously mentioned, especially John's advice to use a single sweep for measurements ), the REW user ( upon encountering new & inexplicable problems ) should consider deleting REW's preferences ( & then restart the app. ) .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link. Ill try both above mentioned ideas before resorting to a full reinstall. I have to wonder if theres something in one of the windows updates causing a problem. I went back through measurements, amd noticed it actually started about a month ago, but because what I was measuring at the time, I just assumed it was a problem with what I was measuring.

Whatever it is, is happening on both of my computers, both win7 platforms. Rew has been on the laptop for a while, but wasn't loaded to the desktop until this weekend.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
A option after trying a single sweep.

Link www.tweaking.com

Follow instructions

"All In One Repair"
"Simple Tweaker"

This resets Windows back to original settings.
Don't have to reinstall Windows, this can help
There is more to it but bit long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts