Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was hoping my first post wouldn't be asking about a problem.

I've had my omnimic usb mic for just under a year, and have been using REW for about 10 months with no issues. However, within the last week, it seems to have stopped working properly. Since I can't post pictures yet, I'll just try to describe it since I'm in a hurry (I'll use the post pad thread later tonight if I get time).

Basically, starting at about 1200 hz, there begins a serious of sharp, nulls all of them 25db+ deep, spaced about 850hz apart, that continue all the way to the upper limits of the measurements. The nulls are only present in REW, with the omnimic software they don't exist. I have not changed any settings since I first started using REW, and they appear to be the same, unless I'm missing something.

I attempted to try another computer, but both my laptop and desktop have the same issues. I should also clarify that this happened both before and after the latest update, which I didn't download until I noticed the issue, I had been ignoring the update at the time. I noticed it while trying to measure some tweeters, however I've since measured two different models of tweeter, and my bookshelf speakers, and they all have the same issue. I also tried switching amps, and it made no difference. I'm fairly confident that it is a problem in the program itself, either in the settings or a bug.

If anyone has anything I can try, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a screenshot of what I'm experiencing. It does this no matter what I measure, and gating doesn't change it. In fact, I have to smooth it to 1/1 before the nulls disappear. At 1/2 smoothing, they are still there. This is smoothed 1/24.

The picture didn't show up, give it an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts

Here's your photo .

Recently, in a thread where the problem was ( newly ) inexplicable wavy lines ( like yours ) the solution turned out to be, a system ( Win7 ) re-install .

:sn:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John, ive been using two sweeps, ill try using one later today.

Earl, by system reinstall, do you mean windows, or rew reinstall? I believe it is win7 on both computers. Rew has been on the laptop for a year, it was just downloaded to the desktop this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
John, ive been using two sweeps, ill try using one later today.

Earl, by system reinstall, do you mean windows, or rew reinstall? I believe it is win7 on both computers. Rew has been on the laptop for a year, it was just downloaded to the desktop this weekend.
Here's the thread that I referenced .

Yes, a full (re)-install of Win7 is/was a bit drastic , but for this user it worked nicely ( ie; doing so, reset things back to normal on his computer which is being used as an HTPC ) .

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Additionally ( to everything previously mentioned, especially John's advice to use a single sweep for measurements ), the REW user ( upon encountering new & inexplicable problems ) should consider deleting REW's preferences ( & then restart the app. ) .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link. Ill try both above mentioned ideas before resorting to a full reinstall. I have to wonder if theres something in one of the windows updates causing a problem. I went back through measurements, amd noticed it actually started about a month ago, but because what I was measuring at the time, I just assumed it was a problem with what I was measuring.

Whatever it is, is happening on both of my computers, both win7 platforms. Rew has been on the laptop for a while, but wasn't loaded to the desktop until this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts