Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there !

I was trying to run REW on my control room.
I use MACPRO - OSX 10.6 - Digidesign HD Accel 2 System.

I'm experiencing a lot of problems :

- Cannot see HD Digidesign between Output available devices
- Can see HD Digidesign Input device but cannot select the channels
- If I leave as default device ( with HD device selected as default device in system preferences) and I run a measures.... well I got some very very strange noises out of the Loudspeakers .

Any Idea ???

Thanx to all !!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Ideas ?

Yes , use

or ;

Get a simple USB based , 2-channel soundcard & dedicate it for REW use ***( best idea IMHO )*** .

or ;

Use REW on a PC running either XP SP3 or Win7 .

or ;

Use your Macs builtin soundcard ( it's good enough ) and connect a cheap SLM meter ( RadioShack type ) into the Mac's input .

or ;

Install "Bootcamp" ( then buy a copy of the Windows OS and use REW within Windows ) .

Why ?

> REW doesn't work ( in the Mac OS ) with multichannel soundcards ( multi "means" more than 2 inputs ) .
> REW doesn't work ( in the Mac OS ) with FireWire connected soundcards .

:sn:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok ! thank you !!! You made things clearer !!
I do use FUZZMEASURES and i think it's a wonderful software, I love to use it , very clean and simple, but in my opinion it miss some interesting features....REW has it !!!

I was wondering if buying a USB sound card... now I know is the only way to go !!!

What about the ART dual-usb pre ??
Can you suggest me something better ?? ( max 200/250 bcks) I would like to have a portable device to run REW on my laptop too !!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
What about the ART dual-usb pre ??
Can you suggest me something better ?? ( max 200/250 bcks) I would like to have a portable device to run REW on my laptop too !!
> The problem I have is that I don't run a Mac computer & I don't have that ART soundcard , so I can't give a real endorsement to the card .

> I think that others have used it successfully ( you'll need to search the forum ) .

> OTOH, I've seen some fairly "noisy" traces from the initial calibration of the ART card ( made with a hardwire loopback cable in place ), leaving me wondering if the card has a builtin noise problem or if the posters are just generally clueless about gain-structure issues . :huh:

> The ART is cheap enough to simply purchase to try out ( I guess ) , see ;

> At this point in time I wouldn't spend $250.00 on any new soundcard / IMHO, it best to wait and see what the various manufactures deliver to the market-place ( over the next 12 months / within that price range ) .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for your answer !! The problem is that I don't have time enough to wait for 12 MOnths !!!!

I'll get some opinions on the internet and maybe I'll try the ART Dual pro.

Ciao !!

Giulio

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi I follwed your suggestions and I bought a simple 2 channel USB interface ( a focusrite scarlet ).

But acutally I have problems.... I'm not able to select the output device and i'm not able to select the input device channel...

IDEAS ??

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Hi I follwed your suggestions and I bought a simple 2 channel USB interface ( a focusrite scarlet ).

But acutally I have problems.... I'm not able to select the output device and i'm not able to select the input device channel...

IDEAS ??
That's a Bummer ! , since that looks like a nice card ( I've also been eyeing that one myself ) .:hissyfit:

> I have no single definitive reason to offer as to why your new USB soundcard wouldn't work with REW . I can only offer my best guess(s) . :dontknow:

> My guess is that your computer still has your other soundcard plugged into it and the mere presence of that card's driver ( open or maybe even closed ) has scrambled the digital routing ( of the Java-Mac environment that REW works it's magic within ) .

> To test my theory, you would need to try this ( Scarlett 2i2 ?? ) card on a different Mac ( & then try to run REW there ). This other computer can't have any other multi-channel audio drivers loaded into its memory.

> You can also ( temporarily ) uninstall your "Digidesign" HD Accel software driver ( then reboot ) .

> The problem here is no one really knows why multichannel audio drivers confuse Java-Mac so completely . And without a working knowledge ( of what really goes wrong & to what extent ) it's impossible to know the depth ( of the confusion ) going on within the Mac OS ( once JavaMac has been exposed to any multichannel soundcard ) .

> You can also try this ( after unplugging your Digidesign Card ), reinstall a new copy of the JavaMac extension for your specific OS ( & then try your new Focusrite card before doing anything with the Digidesign card ) . Doing so , might flush away the OSX(s) routing confusion & allow it to "see" the USB inputs & outputs ( granted , this a long shot / though worth doing IMO ).

> Failing all of the above, you may need to return the card ( & forget about running REW with your specific system). :rant:

> And I'll go back to telling everyone to simply run REW on a PC . :innocent:

PS 1: This card only works with USB 2.0 ( not 1.0 or 1.1 or 3.0 ) though ( as far as I know ) all Mac Pros only use USB 2.0.

PS 2 ( this is undocumented territory ) ;

Some clever computer geeks have been able to reconnect the internal digital streams, in & out of REW using SOUNDFLOWER

OR by using ;

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really thank you for your interest !!
I'll try out your workaround, but I can tell you that I can make measurements... but I just cannot select channels... ( I can just switch jacks !!! not a big problem !"")

Thanx !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I'll try out your workaround, but I can tell you that I can make measurements... but I just cannot select channels... ( I can just switch jacks !!! not a big problem !"")
> I don't understand that statement ( I guess I never understand just what your problem was with your new card ) .

> Can you please rephrase what is possible ( or not ) when you run REW using this new USB card ?

> If you are now able to make meaningful measurements with REW , then that's good . :whistling:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi ! Sorry for my basic english !!

What I mean is that actually I can take measures and the card is working good ! I also made a calibration file for that.

The problem is that I have to set the USB card as default on system properties and I cannot select (from REW) between channels1/2

Everything goes well but only trough input 1 and output 1...that's not a huge problem !!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Hi ! Sorry for my basic english !!

What I mean is that actually I can take measures and the card is working good ! I also made a calibration file for that.

The problem is that I have to set the USB card as default on system properties and I cannot select (from REW) between channels1/2

Everything goes well but only trough input 1 and output 1...that's not a huge problem !!
> Ahhhh, okay then . Thanks for the clarification ! :T

> I'm glad at least the left ( in & out ) channels works from within REW .:huh:

<> :sn:

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Under OS X you usually need to leave the REW settings as "default" and set the device you want to use as the default under Audio/Midi settings. You should be able to swap between inputs 1 and 2 using the Input Channel left/right selector on the REW Soundcard settings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts