Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I figured i would join what looks like a great forum and try to gain some knowledge and perhaps a little help with what many here would probably consider a dream job. Which is, design a theatre completely from scratch for someone in the movie business. I've built a few theatres; a 702 seat balcony performing arts theatre, a 250 seat lecture theatre, and a 85 seat lecture theatre. I've also designed a couple of lecture theatres that had to fit into an existing building. This one is different, as it is a completely blank slate, and will be geared completely for movie viewing.
It's footprint will be roughly 23 feet long by 16 feet wide, clear inside, and i have 20 feet in height to play with. Most likely will have 3 dramatically tiered rows of 4 large reclining seats, since i have all that headroom to play with.
I'm not an engineer, i'm a self taught building designer with a lot of experience in building. I also spent alot of time studying ancient principles, including mayan temples and their knowledge. They knew a thing or two about acoustics...
I've also built quite a few speaker cabinets in my day, as well as having a musical background.
Any useful comments, assistance and teachings thrown my way will be greatly appreciated, especially any known design programs for theatre designs of this nature. It's going to be fun...
Thanks in advance.:bigsmile:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hello Derek and welcome to the Shack!

Sounds like you are about to embark on a very nice HT room and I look forward to following your progress... :T

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Hey Derek,

Sounds like you have some impressive experience in theater design. I'll be interested in what you come up with! Let us know if you have any questions, and welcome to the Shack!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcomes.
Sorry i wasn't clear, but actually i don't have a lot of experience in theatre design, other than what i outlined. The large theatres that i built were designed by acoustical engineers, etc. I just built them. That's why i'm here, interested in learning some of the scientific aspects of the design process. I am familiar with Golden mean geometry in room design, and am interested in applying this to the acoustical aspects. I was happy to see this mentioned already, in regards to the 38% rule. This forum is great.
Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts