Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Yep, it's the same reason why some prefer the sound of a sealed sub using the same driver and why you'll see a few Avalanche 18 LLT owners at a different forum wanting to build dedicated sealed subs for the 50-120hz range - they favor the artificial oomph or kick that comes along with higher distortion. The car or club bass sound is what they are after, as most people don't really get exposed to clean bass in life. They get used to the artificial oomph and that's what they take a liking to.
Higher distortion in the 50-120 Hz range can't be the reason for favouring sealed subs because smaller sealed will have more sensitivity/output (not much but 0.5-1 dB) than larger sealed/ported and therefore has less distortion in that range. Below ~40 Hz that would be correct.

I haven't measured an AVA 18" or 15" but I'm pretty it's pretty similar to the MK1 Tumult when it comes to distortion figures, meaning quite high upper bass distortion. It doesn't have a shorting ring? And only 8" spider?

More about the XBL^2 in a few days... Before that a rhetorical question: did Adire Audio ever provide even a single real world measurement that the XBL^2 reduces distortion? If they did, please show it to me. ;)

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Yes I have seen those. But I'm pretty sure those are just simulations based of the fact that it has a flatter Bl curve.

I'm after some real world distortion measurements, not simulations.
That you won't find. We'll have to wait of your measurement of the SDX15. I'm looking forward to that.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
I haven't heard about real world measurments... It would be greeat to see them though. I think this could be done by measuring 2 similar drivers where one of them has XBL2.

I was thinking about the HO and VT3 MK3... but they even do not have the same amps...

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Just curious if theres a connection between THD and Dumax measurements?Of course, nothing concrete/realworld can be derived from such measurements, but one may be able to generalize? I remember seeing either Dumax or Adire's own method of testing for BL linearity on their site a couple months back....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scott,

Welcome to the HT forum. You provided a recone for my Avalanche and we discussed some speaker options for my vehicle. Again, welcome and if you do come up with more Xbl2 subs with equal or greater capabilities to the Avalanche let me know.

Charles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Scott,

It's cool to see you over in the DIY HT side of things. Now that I have a house, I'll have to hit you up for some of those new IB 18's with the 2 layer coil.

Not to hijack this thread but I think one of the better comparison of XBL^2 stuff were the Blueprint 01 series that Scott did. While the resulting paraders of the drivers were different (and I like the higher BL and Mms originals) the XBL^2 versions did have a good deal lower 2nd harmonic distortion and (in my opinion) a cleaner upper bass sound. There are some measurements here by Monte K showing this:
http://www.mfk-projects.com/woofer_data.htm#Blue

You c9uld also do a similar comparison between the Blueprint 03 series / RE HC to a Brahma.

I think the biggest issues in using licensed technologies is (in public or private / for better or worse) being associated with the other company doing the licensing. Also, while Scott may have some input on this, for 95% of applications, even with cost not as much of an object, a "standard" overhung is the way to go, especially if you need high BL / power handling.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Actually yes and no...lol
The 15" single 2 Ohm sub is done and we will start production on those when I return from a business trip (start in about 2 weeks). This one has 22mm of Xmax and is mechanically limited (24.5 mm of Xmag). These are a 2" coiled sub and will probably go for $119 shipped for 4 or more. They are decently efficient and lower power handling (then again they dont need as much either). About 250W gets them to Xmax at 20Hz.
The 18" single 2 Ohm is a 3" coiled sub and has a low .81mH inductance. This is the one I am doing one last iteration on to get the qts right where I want it. Last iteration ended up being .68 which some feel is a little high. Next one FEAs for .61 and Ill machine that when I return as well.
We will have parts on hand for both when I return and I will most likely just have to machine the larger 18" sub a little when we get things in... probably $209 for 30mm of Xmax.

Ill get specs up soon for these and start a new post as well. These wont be on the Fi site and I wont really "market" them. More of a HTS and CIB forum "in the know" type thing.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
521 Posts
The 18" single 2 Ohm is a 3" coiled sub and has a low .81mH inductance. This is the one I am doing one last iteration on to get the qts right where I want it. Last iteration ended up being .68 which some feel is a little high. Next one FEAs for .61 and Ill machine that when I return as well.
We will have parts on hand for both when I return and I will most likely just have to machine the larger 18" sub a little when we get things in... probably $209 for 30mm of Xmax.

Ill get specs up soon for these and start a new post as well. These wont be on the Fi site and I wont really "market" them. More of a HTS and CIB forum "in the know" type thing.
Wow Scott, that sounds fannnnntastic.

D

·
0 Posts
Things sound like they're shaping up nicely, Scott. Do you have any prototypes you'd like to unload? :)

Do you mind if we put something up on AudioJunkies about these?

Neil

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Neil is on here? What kind of forum did I get myself involved with??? :)
I have about 75 "prototypes" I need to unload. I have 2-3 pallets worth of things that when I get the time Ill classify and "dump".
Better question is when do YOU need some prototypes?

This has been a "beyond" hectic last 3-4 weeks. We are getting ready for the dread dB Drag Finals (and you know how I feel about that stuff), not too mention CES is approaching and we are doing plenty of design/consulting and proto work for companies as well. Luckily only 2 are car audio and the rest are home (which makes my life that much easier). Then we have SEMA and the show vehicle for that too. Ill be glad when Halloween rolls around as I will only have "normal" work until CES hits.

Thanks,
Scott

D

·
0 Posts
I have about 75 "prototypes" I need to unload. I have 2-3 pallets worth of things that when I get the time Ill classify and "dump".

This has been a "beyond" hectic last 3-4 weeks. We are getting ready for the dread dB Drag Finals (and you know how I feel about that stuff), not too mention CES is approaching and we are doing plenty of design/consulting and proto work for companies as well. Luckily only 2 are car audio and the rest are home (which makes my life that much easier). Then we have SEMA and the show vehicle for that too. Ill be glad when Halloween rolls around as I will only have "normal" work until CES hits.

Thanks,
Scott
Good to see that you are busy. Please keep us posted here about your developments in the home audio world. I'll send you an email about more personal matters. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good Afternoon Gentlemen.

Long time lurker; however, being in the market for an IB install this winter I simply had to join and demonstrate my interest here too.

Scott,

I'm looking forward to seeing how the 18's develop; I'm in the market for four drivers and was very close to ordering Q18's set up for IB use.

Regards,

Larry

Thanks,
Scott

21 - 40 of 46 Posts