Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build a new sub with more headroom and excursion than my previous sub, adire audio shiva 3 (not x). After playing Avatar on blue ray my old shiva threatend to shoot it's voice coil into next year! making loud clacking sounds. So I think I want a good 15 incher with good x-max and low distortion. but it has to go into enclosure no larger than 140 litres.
I listen to music 60% movies 40% Does anybody have any suggestions please

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
There are a few popular ones that will work very well, most noticeably the SDX15 from CSS. Unfortunately, I believe they are currently out of stock. One I have direct experience of that will work very well is the AE AV-15X. For best results I would use it in a 140 litre enclosure, with a couple pr's which will tune to 16hz. With 500 to 1000 watts input you will get excellent results IMO.

Just one option.

Another option is an SDX15 I have seen for sale in the classifieds section, which may also be worth a look :T

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ditto Dan on the SDX15 and some PR's.

Also worth looking at are the Exodus Tempest 15. In the linked page is an application note PDF which has both ported and PR tunings in the box size you mention.

Acoustic Elegance who make some extremely fine drivers also have a couple of 15" units, the AV15H and AV15X that should be considered. They also sell enclosures, PR's and kits for the above that would make sub building very simple and quick. For the kit options, the 1512 looks like a perfect fit; AV15 and dual 18" PR's in 24x24x25" cabinet for $599 the lot (but email and confirm the price).

Edit: I got the prices wrong. The cost above for the AE is simply the enclosure. Here is a thread on the AE forum with prices and specs and pics.

I also didn't notice the OP is in Oz and how much the shipping adds to the driver cost as I know after importing 8 of them.

Sorry 'bout that.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Dont forget to factor in the cost of amplification to any kits you might buy, as amplification will usually be extra :T

·
Registered
887 Posts
You can't get an SDX15 unless its used. No longer in production, no stock. Working on Gen 2.

I'd give Dayton a look as well. Many like the Ref series very much for music.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys
Ok since I live in Australia the only real viable options are Ficar IXL 18 or the Exodus tempest x both of which i can get at reasonable prices. Regarding amp power I have a Hypex DS4 400 watt class D plate amp. the Mal x could also be used but it is more expensive and would maybe require a bigger amp.
so Tempest x or IXL 18 ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Mike it is in a 120L box ported to 20HZ. maybe box has developed a leak but i can't see how. I know that the dynamic range and deep bass content on blue ray discs is extreme But i've never used up x- max before so easily! Ithink its time to upgrade anyhow.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for modelling those for me. I can see i will have to get more proficient at entering driver specs into winisd. I think the sealed version of tempest is still attractive since it needs no high pass filter at 18 Hz. Room gain would see output into the teens too I reckon. If I go ported i would have drama trying to get a six inch diam port into a 130L box, in which case i would be looking at an 18" passive Radiator,$$$$ !. In any case "more power scotty " will be the answer. I Also think my shiva has been on the recieving end of sub 20Hz signals pushing it above x max. I might experiment with test tones to see if it is guilty of exceeding it's legel limit of x-max with say 16 HZ signals. Mike do you have info (graph) on driver excursion for shiva in my aformentioned box using say a 500W input ? please. If it doesn't exceed x-max I will have to search elsewhere for cause of clacking sound.
Also which driver , Tempest x2 or IXL18 would have better sound quality playing at moderate levels?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mike do you have info (graph) on driver excursion for shiva in my aformentioned box using say a 500W input ? please. If it doesn't exceed x-max I will have to search elsewhere for cause of clacking sound.
See attachments:130L sealed, 500W
Also which driver , Tempest x2 or IXL18 would have better sound quality playing at moderate levels?
My gut says the T15 because of the motor design.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks A9x. I was leaning towards the tempest ( motor design )and it looks as though it will be within x-max too with 500 watts. I was shocked to see The shive3 graph for cone excursion. It definately doesn't have anywhere near the cone excursion I need for 105dB at 20 HZ. Thanks mate. Now I am armed with enough info to start new sub design !:yay:

·
Registered
790 Posts
thanks A9x. I was leaning towards the tempest ( motor design )and it looks as though it will be within x-max too with 500 watts. I was shocked to see The shive3 graph for cone excursion. It definately doesn't have anywhere near the cone excursion I need for 105dB at 20 HZ. Thanks mate. Now I am armed with enough info to start new sub design !:yay:
The Shiva is quite an old design now. If you have a spare amp and EQ, corner loaded might produce enough output to be a worthwhile addition and the help even out some room modes. The models are 1/2 space (sub in middle of parking lot) and show no room gain. Something to think about later maybe.

Bill's Boxnotes software is worth downloading and having a play with to help with the final details of the design. And of course you can ask here.

I'd also so a search and read all the Tempest build threads and as many as you can absorb of other builds as you'll pick up a ton of small constructional details that will help with the design and build.

When you start building, a build thread with pics is a must.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts