Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am looking to add a pair of 15"s to my dedicated home theater. The room is about 1300 cubic feet.

I am going to be using a Behringer 2500 Amp to power the subs. I am looking at Dayton subs, they have a lot of great reviews and the price is right around my budget. I am going to build a sealed box for these subs and I like my Bass tight and punchy!!

For a Home Theater application would you suggest HO (High Output) or HF (High Fidelity)???

Im currently looking at these subs:

Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468

Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390ho-4-15-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-469

Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um15-22-15-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-514

Dayton Audio TS400D-4 15" Titanic Mk 4 Subwoofer 4 Ohm
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ts400d-4-15-titanic-mk-4-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-405

My Question is do I go with 2 4 Ohm subs to run the amp bridged at 2 Ohm or do I settle for a little less power and go with the DVC 2 Ohm and go 4 Ohm Stereo???

Any help or suggestions are welcome!!

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
UM-15's D4 and use the four ohm impedance for bridged. So each sub would be wired for 8ohms and then together for a final 4 ohm impedance. Then bridge the amp.

Or if you have separate EQ and sub outs you can use the D4 in 2 ohm stereo setup which should yield you the same amount of power to each sub.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds perfect!!!! I was leening towards the UM-15's. There are have been a ton of great reviews. Would you say the EP2500 is a good amp to push these subs? I have read the true power output is much less then stated by Behringer!!

Also I am looking at building 2 separate sealed boxes for these subs and placing them to the left and right of the center channel. Forward firing. Would this be a good location for them?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Location is dependent on your room. As far as having enough power you should be fine. The UM-15 likes a large cabinet sealed. So if building a .7 alignment(6cuft each) for them then 2000watts is plenty. Only need about 900 total to hit Xmax at 10hz.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Chrapladm for the information. What would be the best enclosure software for me to download and use for the build? I am going to be ordering the subs this week. Looking forward to the build.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
WinISD is the easiest software to download and use. Simple for subwoofers. And when it comes to spl the UM-15 looks awesome in a ported cabinet compared to a sealed. A simple 22hz port in 6cuft yields HUGE gains over the sealed in roughly the same size cabinet. The sealed cabinet is 6cuft and can only take 450watts to hit Xmax. The ported cabinet can take double that and shows it in SPL.

If going sealed I would prefer the 4cuft cabinet. Takes more power and produces more SPL where it counts. And can take 700watts which it produces about 2db more SPL from 30hz and up. Still less than the ported but if needing smaller cabinet size this would be a good choice.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts

Ported has 1000watts
4cuft sealed as 700watts
6cuft sealed has 450watts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chrapladm thank you very much for the graphs!!! I am new to the actual graphing of enclosures. What do the "X" and "Y" axis represent?

What software did you use to graph the subs?

Based on the information what enclosure would be the best for my dedicated home theater use?

Again thank you VERY MUCH!! I am looking to build this room to the best ideal results I can achieve.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
X and Y represent the SPL in DB and frequency. So 10-100 is frequency and 95-124 is decibels.

So with a pair of ported 15's you will have about 120dbs from 20hz and up in your room. Should do quite well. As you can see the rising line for the ported as it goes down in frequency it needs a much bigger box for it to be smooth. You can correct this with EQ. Optimally the UM-15 wants about 10cuft for the ported enclosure or more.

So I would build the ported cabinet. It offers you the most SPL out of your 15's between the two.

I am using WinISD for the software.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts