Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Shacksters.

It has been a long time coming, with glimmers of hope springing to light only to be dashed by the heavy reality of a struggling economy and a primary producer that declared bankruptcy only a few short months after my largest purchase order to date. I had sincerely hoped that there would have been a revival in the production process, however I can now say with confidence that I will not be receiving my order for the RL-i8's and RL-p18's that I had placed so many moons ago. On the upside, a partial debt resolution is in the works, so I should be able to recoup a portion of the losses stemming from my final purchase order. However, given my inability to source a reliable and timely supplier that will produce my drivers at a cost which would allow me to keep my retail rates consistent with their historical average, I am hanging up my hat and bidding farewell to SoundSplinter as a going concern.

It's been a wonderful experience, and I am proud to have held a home here at the Home Theater Shack - one of the most intelligent, informative and helpful home theater forums on the internet - thanks in no small part to the dedication of its administrators, moderators and its growing membership. I would like to express particular gratitude toward Sonnie for having had faith enough to invite me on board in the early beginnings of this community, as well as to Mike P for his dutiful stewardship of the SoundSplinter forum. You guys are tops and it is impressive to see how this place has grown under your leadership! I'll still be reachable via email (or PM me right here on the Shack), and I will always do my best to help anyone out to the best of my ability.

In efforts to clear out space in my garage, I would like to offer my remaining inventory of TC2+ based single 6 ohm 8" drivers, also known as the Orphan 8's, to Home Theater Shack participants at the fire sale rate of $89 + shipping. These are monster eights that are easily worth $200, and while I know that most home theaters yearn for maximum displacement, I'm sure you would be able to find something respectable to do with these heavy duty, high quality, USA built drivers. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested in the offer, while supplies last. Please note that these drivers may not include the rubber gasket trim on the basket's mounting flange you see pictured below.

Qts - 0.405
Qes - 0.442
Qms - 4.778
Fs - 34.289 Hz
Re - 5.25 Ohm
Ls - 12.16mH
Lp - 4.053 mH
Rp - 25.46 Ohm
Vas - 5.031 L
Mms - 214.1 g
Cms - 100.6 m/N
Bl - 23.39 T*m
Sensitivity - 78.44 dB
17mm Xmax​

:eek:lddude: Last thing to mention, I will also be holding a drawing for a mystery prize. :D

Anyone who posts in this thread is eligible (one entry per person), and a winner will be chosen at random during the week of October 3rd. Shipping will be included for residents of the continental United States (if the winning shipment goes elsewhere, the winner will have to pony up the dough to make that happen :spend:).

Thanks again for your support over the years, despite some setbacks, it has been an exceptionally positive experience! :yourock:
~Mike

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Mike, Thanks for all your input over the years you have been here. Its been great to have you as a member/sponsor. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
How high can those 8s be used as a woofer with some top end response shaping?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I see... Well, Mike I wish you well in your future endeavors and in getting the whole OEM thing sorted out.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Here's hopeing that things work out for you and thank you for your past and future contributions to this forum......:T :wave:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awwe, weak sauce. I was really hoping that the whole thing would eventually be resolved, one way or another, and that I could get an RL-p18 one day. =(
I'm really sorry that things worked out the way they did for you, Mike.

Best of luck with future endeavors,
Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Man, I think even though I joined HTS when Soundsplinter drivers were in short supply, I craved to do a build with one as Blazer's and so many others LOOKED AWESOME! There are so many great builds in the archives using SS. Wish you the best. :T

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would love to have a couple of those Orphan 8's but sadly I'm totally broke and likely to stay that way for a while. I'd love to be a part of the drawing though :)

Best of luck to you in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't come one here that much anymore due to me being in a dorm but I stopped by to check on the status of soundsplinter and am very upset :( Atleast I got two of the 18s!!! Good luck with your future endeavors Mike! I really want an 8 or two at that ridiculous price but being in college sucks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mike, I do hope you return to this line of work one day, I'll only buy drivers from you.
The Heretic does continuous duty every day with your two dual-4 ohm RL-p's driven by the Adire ADA 1200, and has for a number of years. The amplifier has been re-built, but the RL-p's have been beyond rugged.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:fireworks3::fireworks2: :sn: :blink: Congrat's to gorb for winnin' a li'l somethin' somethin' :D :T :fireworks3::fireworks1:

Many thanks to the rest of you for the kind words. :bigsmile: Plenty more Orphan 8's available, just drop me a line if you want 'em! You'd be hard pressed to get this driver OEM'd for $89 without buying 500+ units. :rubeyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts