Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what amps you guys are running with your Maelstrom-X's ?

I'd be interested to find out what the quietest amp is out there that can drive these power hungry beasts.

Are there any out there that run close to silent?

Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The EP2500 without the Fan mod is far from silent :bigsmile:
I've been running the EP2500, and can clip it when I'm at 70dB's on my receiver...yes its a cheap receiver. I'm guessing that its' 70dB is about -10dB on a higher quality receiver. Not 100% positive there, but it sounds close to each other.

One thing I don't understand is why I can either bottom out my sub, or clip the amp before I hit the max on my receiver (80dB). I even have my mains set at -7dB, and they can still overpower the sub on most songs if I go above 70dB on my receiver. Maybe I'm just too bass hungry??? :coocoo: or I just need to port my box as 26hz...

But, all in all, the EP2500 is a great amp. I would advise to do the fan mod, but I haven't yet.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Quietest? Try a Crown K2. They have no fans and are dead silent. They are about the same power as an EP4000 but they are more expensive. Sometimes you can find used ones for $600-800.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine aren't finished yet but I have a pair of fan modded ep2500's for my Mal-X's. They might not have enough power for sealed if you are going to be boosting down low.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Someone was selling a Face Audio amp on the forum really cheap...

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I use a pg2200 samson, it's fan is pretty quiet from across the room, that is, unless I play :hsd:scenes in movies, if the calm after the stormy scene occurs, well, the fan is easily heard. Doesn't happen often for sure, as the only movies with sustained combat, I mean content, usually don't have that absence of sound anywhere in the movie.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The EP2500 without the Fan mod is far from silent :bigsmile:
I've been running the EP2500, and can clip it when I'm at 70dB's on my receiver...yes its a cheap receiver. I'm guessing that its' 70dB is about -10dB on a higher quality receiver. Not 100% positive there, but it sounds close to each other.

One thing I don't understand is why I can either bottom out my sub, or clip the amp before I hit the max on my receiver (80dB). I even have my mains set at -7dB, and they can still overpower the sub on most songs if I go above 70dB on my receiver. Maybe I'm just too bass hungry??? :coocoo: or I just need to port my box as 26hz...

But, all in all, the EP2500 is a great amp. I would advise to do the fan mod, but I haven't yet.

I guess I should revise some of my post...

Anyways, the stock fan on the EP2500 isn't too loud on its idle mode. When you play some songs or movies at high levels, where the amp is close to full output (especially with low bass in it), the fan kicks up and winds up being pretty loud. But, I also have the amp in my 13x13 room, so it will be quite a bit louder than if it was in a bigger room.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder how quite one of these would be

http://www.faceaudio.com/product4,4.html

DIGITAL NEXUS
HOMEPRO AMPLIFIERSDIGITAL NEXUSF1800DN
Photo of the Back
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Stereo / 1000 W

Stereo / 1800 W

Stereo / 2000 W

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kevin (or anyone else for that matter),

Just wondering if you have used one of these babies before?

How quiet is it ?

I wonder how quite one of these would be

http://www.faceaudio.com/product4,4.html

DIGITAL NEXUS
HOMEPRO AMPLIFIERSDIGITAL NEXUSF1800DN
Photo of the Back
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Stereo / 1000 W

Stereo / 1800 W

Stereo / 2000 W

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Kevin (or anyone else for that matter),

Just wondering if you have used one of these babies before?

How quiet is it ?
I've never used one or sold one so I don't have a clue. I've not noticed a lot of difference in the noise levels among the pro-amps I have. They all make some sort of ambient noise and it varies unit-unit because the fans have variability in how they are manufactured. On some, you can just turn the mounting screws a little and the fan noise changes drastically.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never used one or sold one so I don't have a clue. I've not noticed a lot of difference in the noise levels among the pro-amps I have. They all make some sort of ambient noise and it varies unit-unit because the fans have variability in how they are manufactured. On some, you can just turn the mounting screws a little and the fan noise changes drastically.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Thanks Kevin. Pro amps for home use seem to be a blessing and a curse.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
EP-2500 with a fan mod is what I plan on using per driver. Currently using an EP-1500 for my IB setup. Some guys also have a dedicated area in a separate room for their equipment. That is a sure way to control your noise floor. In the future I plan on using the Behringer A500, which is dead quite as it has no fans, for my surrounds. Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an ECLER XPA 7000
4 Stereo -718 WRMS
8 Stereo -450 WRMS
8 Bridged-1436 WRMS

I don't know the specs for 2 0hm stereo -4 ohm bridge ,but I hope it's gonna do a great job with my MAL-X. First I'll have to get my box finished.

·
Registered
511 Posts
EP-2500 with a fan mod is what I plan on using per driver. Currently using an EP-1500 for my IB setup. Some guys also have a dedicated area in a separate room for their equipment. That is a sure way to control your noise floor. In the future I plan on using the Behringer A500, which is dead quite as it has no fans, for my surrounds. Cheers.
"audiophile-grade performance" and Behringer in the same sentence doesn't jibe. Even live audio guys cringe at the thought of using Behringer gear unless it's absolutely necessary.

I'm talkin' for full range, it's not as critical for sub range as long as it has clean and consistent current.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey Aaron, did the Quest guys ever come and see you about the fans?

I would answer your question "Just wondering what amps you guys are running with your Maelstrom-X's ?" but you already know the answer. It will be in one of these soon, outside of the main room.

Probably going to get another Mal X after my discussions with Mr Jones over NY and try them initially at the mid side walls. If I need more herbs, I'll get another QA.

"audiophile-grade performance" and Behringer in the same sentence doesn't jibe.
'Audiophile grade' just means you paid too much for it. The Behringers are decent enough units.
Even live audio guys cringe at the thought of using Behringer gear unless it's absolutely necessary.
This is not relevant in a home situation: the amount of physical abuse my PA rigs took (even though I handled them very carefully) was enormous compared to what an amp will bear sitting it's entire working life in a rack in a living room. Getting paid, and getting another gig depends as much as anything else on reliability, and in this regard, many of the early Behringer unit's suffered. QC has improved a lot from what I see.

I'm talkin' for full range, it's not as critical for sub range as long as it has clean and consistent current.
The EP's are near identical to some QSC models and their measured performance is excellent.
Amp testing thread
The A500 is an excellent little amp, apart from the tacky front panel.
http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=22&blogId=1

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Aaron, did the Quest guys ever come and see you about the fans?
Hi Brett,

Still waiting to hear back from Stuart, he was taking care of the details.

I would answer your question "Just wondering what amps you guys are running with your Maelstrom-X's ?" but you already know the answer. It will be in one of these soon, outside of the main room.
Extremely impressive. Having the unit in another room would negate any noise issues. Oh and the blue LED's are friggin bright in a HT environment.

Probably going to get another Mal X after my discussions with Mr Jones over NY and try them initially at the mid side walls. If I need more herbs, I'll get another QA.
How was TJ ?

Two is nice, but perhaps even overkill in my room. Mine never get stressed and Ive turn the wick up a few times for HT when the booze was flowing a bit too freely with mates over :)

The amp would run out of juice before the subs would pack it in, and the amps warning lights havent even come on let alone a protective shutdown from clipping :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts