Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, how many just-noticeably-different shades of gray do video-players need to produce to correctly/accurately display content? 255? 50,000? 16million?
..It looks like a majority of HD and SD content is 8bit and can display 256 shades. 10Bit content can show around 1000shades while 12bits can display 4000+, but the average eye will only differentiate 700-900.

Second, what is the minimum contrast ratio required to produce that many JND shades? Note: it doesn't HAVE to look good (deep blacks, bright whites), it just can't have any crushing.
What minimum contrast numbers should a projector have to avoid loosing content?
..As long as the projector is able to create an image that's brighter than 10cd/m2, a 100:1 contrast ratio is more than sufficient.

Third, how big of a change in brightness is needed for a just-noticeable-difference? I'm guessing this scales according to the brightness, I'm more curious about the low end.
How dark can a source or filter or screen be before gray 18 and gray 19 look the same to the average eye?
..The range from .1-10cd/m2 contains 200JND shades, while 10-1000cd/m2 holds 600.

I'm curious because I've been playing around with progressively darker screens, but if this belongs in a different section, I apologize.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.