Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 20 7.5%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm using IE6 with sp2, which I was happy with until I started reading this thread. So what's so terribly wrong with this?

Dual 19" CRT monitors with screen resolution of 1024 by 768 each. One of the monitors is a graphics grade Samsung which with calibration is extremely accurate. I hate the day when it dies and I'll have to replace it.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It's not that IE is that bad, but others are better in several peoples eyes.

I find Firefox faster and more versatile than IE. Firefox offers extensions that you can add-on to create a really nice application for yourself. There are several extensions that serve me very well and actually I'd be lost without them being a webmaster. I also have a button on FF that in one click it renders the same as IE would, one more click and I'm back to FF, all within the FF browser frame. Of course, tabbed browsing is fabulous! IE7 offers tabbed browsing, but it still lacks a lot that FF offers. FF is just plain easier to work with after you use it for a while.

Then there's Thunderbird for email... miles better than Outlook or Outlook Express. Of course that's all my opinion.

Y

·
0 Posts
Opera from version 3x onward, for news and mail too since they introduced M2 mail client. On my ancient SONY CRT 19" monitors, I view at 1152x864 which I find comfortalbe enough.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just downloaded/installed IE 7.

The toolbar layout is going to take some getting use to. Hopefully, I can reconfigure it to something I'm more comfortable with. Seems that it runs faster than IE 6. Outlook express seems slower opening some but not all emails. Wonder if IE7 is doing something in the background that's causing that.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yup, the layout is definitely different. I'm not sure on OE, I haven't used it in years. IE and OE must use more resources somehow since they run slower than non-Microsoft products, but I'm not positive.

Jim, if you ever try Firefox and Thunderbird, you may never go back to IE.

A

·
0 Posts
Count me in as a long time FF user. I've got IE installed for testing but like Sonnie the IE tab works well enough that I seldom have to bother opening up IE6 or 7.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Firefox 2 at 1024 X 768 resolution on my old Sony 19" Flat Screen CRT at 120Hz refresh rate. The main reason I like Firefox better than IE is it's text handling while zooming text. IE wants to make you scroll the page horizontally while Firefox doesn't. Opera is probably better at this than Firefox but I keep coming back. Still have to get about closer than 10" or so to see anything but at least I don't have to scroll horizontally! Yeah, I'm blind but still kicking.:whew:

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Running 1920x1080 on my desktop (sharp 32") and i also have a 22" samsung hooked up from time to time for some nice multi-view action.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Call me old school, but I have IE on all my computers here at home (five with various resolutions- 17" monitor for one, three Trinitron 21" monitors, and a 26" LCD HDTV set to 1366x768) and we use it exclusively at work. I need to have what the apps are written for at work for compatability reasons so I stay with that.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Am now giving firefox a go, tried Safari for a while but really did not like it. Have used various Opera versions for the last five years or so and so Firefox is a bit complicated/unfamiliar, the jury is still out as to which is better for me!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I think if you give FF a little time and tinker with some of their add-ons/extensions... you'll love it. It's the next best thing since whatever was before sliced bread, if you ask me. :nerd:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Am willing to give FF some time, it does seem a bit quicker at rendering pages than Opera, also the startup time is quicker. I do however have some issues with FF. For some reason it will not remember my password info for my banks site, it actually does not ask whereas Opera did, not a big problem but just more to remember myself. One feature that I really liked about Opera was the 'copy to note', notes are located in the sidebar and I could either highlight text or right clicking on a link I could save it to the notes and then later drag them across into emails or when adding links here etc, probably there is a way to do the above with FF but have not really has the time yet to investigate the add ons much. The spell check is great though, will have to see if it will correct my badly written Finnish.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It must be a setting somewhere with the password memory. It asks me every time the first time I enter a username and password. And it works on my bank site fine.

And yes... I imagine there is some sort of add-on that will do your notes. There's kind of a good side and a bad side with those add-ons. The good is there is a lot to choose from to cover nearly anything you can imagine. The bad is there are too many. :huh:

K

·
0 Posts
1280 x 1084, and I use Firefox. I have some really nice Grease Monkey scripts for use in MySpace. They make life much easier.

I use Firefox because it is more stable/secure than IE, and I can use add-ons for free. You have to pay for the limited amount available on IE.

Also, I browse from Sandboxie after having my computer hacked in April. It creates a virtual browser environment that I dump after each session.

41 - 60 of 165 Posts