Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

what can I gain from DIY

Tags
diy gain
4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  loopy 
#1 ·
I am making my 18 inch sub this will save me money.
what I want to ask is other than the satisfaction what do i gain from making my own speakers.
I am on a tight budget but have a very large room to fill 4000 cubic feet.
I was going to get me some ascend 340's for the front and 170s for the rear but my aver broke just before i ordered them.
With the sub being less expensive and maybe better than purchased can I make speakers that are as good and still save money?

I have very little audio experience so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

#3 ·
With a little bit of research, it is absolutely possible to build a better speaker than you can buy in any particular price point... to a point. If you're talking about speakers that cost less than ~$500/pr, in general those don't have anything in the way of technology, carpentry, or design that a savvy consumer can't pull off on their own. For $100-$400 in parts and a careful execution, you have the potential to outclass manufactured boxes for the same price as what you spent on those parts. This assumes you have all the tools... as stated above, if you have to factor all that into the price you're never going to compete.

When you get into the higher end stuff, aside from the higher quality hardware you're paying for the expertise of the designers and the builders. There are subtleties of cabinet design (like port placement, time-alignment of drivers, bracing and damping, etc) that improve with experience, as with the electrical side (crossover design and layout, etc). Those things absolutely make a difference in the end product, and that's reflected (generally) in the price you pay.

#8 ·
Are there any good plans I on this site that I can look at that will work good in a 4000 cubic foot room?

And sorry for the late reply I work a 12 hr swing shift and trying to figure this out before i get some good time off so i can use that time to start building something.

#9 ·
I have no direct experience with the Fusion 8 speakers but my mains speakers are somewhat similar. IMO, with a subwoofer, it will be difficult to get that combination of dynamics & balance near that price point, DIY or commercial. You may want to try the stand mount first to confirm you like its character before investing into the floor standing.

You will be fine without a table saw. A router, a flush trim bit and some double sided tape can make up for it ;)

#5 ·
I built a 12" box for my car using a Fusion 12" subwoofer... it did pretty well considering the almost comically low price. What exact model are you looking at? I can't find anything on their website at the moment that looks like a bare 8" driver.

If you're reasonably proficient with your router and circular saw, it's not too difficult to build a decent box.

#11 ·
I went ahead and got me a flat pack and 18 dayton HO sub with a Inuke 6000 DSP . The flat pack ate up the cost of the second sub so i will stay with one until I get the money to get a second one. One option if I can talk my wife into it is to go ported over sealed but two 18 inch ported subs are very large and I don't think she would be easy to sway. The ported would cover the area better. 4000 cubic feet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.